How to score a 1000 yd Heavy Gun Target

E

eww1350

I understand how in the light gun a 5 shot target can produce a 50-5x maximum but explain the 10 shot 50 point score in heavy gun....I am somewhat confused as how a 10 shot target can produce a maximum 50 points..???

I guess if your goal were to keep things to 50 points maximum, you'd have to count a "10" as a "5."

In point of fact, the IBS, Pennsylvania, and the little bit of NBRSA that shoots long range, all use 100-10X as a perfect HG score at 1,000 yards. Note that no one has ever fired a 10X 100.

Note too that for 600 yards everybody fires a 5-shot target for HG as well as LG.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...it is correct the heavy gun is a maximum of 100 point not 50...

Also note that the 600 yard target is not a progression in size the way it originally started out! 1/2" ten ring at 100 and on up to 5" at 1,000. Because perfect scores with five "X's" were getting too common, they reduced the 600 yard ten ring from 3" to 2.8" and the X ring to 1.2" (not sure how they arrived at those numbers-------I think Tooley knows?)
Rich De

Rich

Originaly it was scaled directly off the 1K target. But a 40% reduction in target size didn't match the change in wind drift. Wind drift is reduced by about 60% going from 1K to 600 yds. So that's what was decided on for the new target. Nobody has shot a 200 "YET" so it seems to be about right.

Dave

Hmmmmmmmmm? How about that? Didn't have a 1K target handy but "assumed" that was the progression:confused: Been a few years since the "Old" Hawks Ridge:).............Thanks Dave!
Rich De

Then I stand corrected.

IIRC, both IBS & Pennsylvania went to the 5-shot HG at 600 because we have no backer system requirements, and at 600 yards -- at least with east-coast shooters -- the odds of more than one double would make the targets too hard to verify the total number of shots.

Back