How to choose a used rifle.

Larry M

I'm a centerfire guy. But a friend of mine bought a Cooper and asked for help in getting started with the proper rest , break-in ect. While we were at the range I let him shoot my benchgun well the bug has bit. The thing is he wants to do it with a rimfire. I dont much about rimfire actions and barrels and such. He doesn't want to wait to have a gun built I told him Id help find one used. We don't have any rimfire shooters in my area that I am aware of to talk to.I looked on the classified here but I don't know a good deal from poor one. I intend to call Bob white of shooters corner on monday also. WHere else can I look and what do I need to know?
Thanks. Larry

Check the classifieds here. Call and talk to Larry Cook, he has several used rifles for sale now. I beleive he has a liberal return policy if you are not satisfied. Some very good rifles come up for sale for a lot of different reasons. Good luck.

Ken

I'll second that about Larry Cook. Bought a gun from him in the past and he was very good to deal with. Also, the guns he is selling are from Jim Williams and he did not hold back as far as quality work was concerned.

A word of caution.........................

Rimfire and Centerfire BR rifles are two totally different animals.
As a rule rimfires are VERY difficult to shoot. Don't be discouraged if you buy a pedigreed rifle and think it doesn't shoot. There is a steep learinig curve and many of the rules you have learned about shooting centerfire do not apply to rimfire.

Tell him not to buy a gun now! Have him go to some matches. Most shooters I know are happy to let a new guy shoot their BR equipment. That way he can get a better Idea what might suit him before going out and buying a Pig in a Poke! It's a shame he did not know about the IR50/50 Indoor Match! He could have shoot some of the best BR rifles in the World this weekend but more importantly he could have talked to some of the best shooters which would have been more important then pulling a trigger!

I dont think he's intresested in competing. He just found out he likes shooting all the bullets through one hole. I have explained to him about rimfire ammo and searching and finding and buying it all and windflags. I havn't looked into it too hard but the only rimfire matches I know about in the area are way out in western MD.

Back