How much undersize for FLS die reamer

rooshooter

My 284 dies dont fit my chamber very well, not enough sizing on the base and too much around the shoulder, so I am thinking of getting a die made up just for making a FLS die. How much under size do you make reamer widths for a FLS die?

I don't know the answer, but PTG sells reamers specifically for sizing dies and die body blanks. I've no doubt they could make whatever reamer you need.

Fitch

You can start an argument with that question. If you own the .284 reamer you use, there is perhaps a better way. Have a custom die made for you. In the States, Jim Carstensen does this, as does Niel Jones. With Carstensen, you send the reamer and a couple fired cases, I'm not sure Jones even needs the reamer. It then becomes their business to make a die that results in about .001 clearance after sizing.

The cost of a die from Carstensen is less than a FL reamer plus paying for a blank & hardening the die, so even if you can make your own, you'd be out more. Jim modifies an existing die. I believe the Jones die costs a bit more, but it uses a different type of bushings for the neck & shoulder, & some people think the design is better. I've used Carstensen dies, they are first rate. No experience with a Jones, but his reputation is very good.

I believe Hornady will also make a custom die from your fired cases for significantly less money. Too, they don't need your chambering reamer to make the die, but since it is made from fired cases, it will still be tailored to that one reamer. Some have claimed these dies are excellent, some were less satisfied. It could be that Hornady just has a larger "audience," & there is an old adage about pleasing everybody.

The problem with specifying a reamer is, "how much does the brass spring back after sizing? And that depends on a number of factors, your load, your brass, how long use (have to) use cases, etc. Rule of thumb is about .003 smaller for a sizing die, but you'll find people who want .0025 at the shoulder & .002 at the base, or some who go the other way.

With having a die itself made, you pass that burden to the die maker, you get results, not theory.

Charles,
Do you have contact info for Jim Carstensen?

I need to get a couple of dies made. One for a 260 AI, and the other for a 250/3000AI.

Thank you!
Denny

For the .284 case I would go with .002 under at the shoulder and .003 under at the base just like Butch suggests.

Jim Carstensen is JLC Precision

JLC Precision (Jim Carstensen)
jlcprec@netins.net
13095 450th Ave
Bellevue, IA 52031
Shop phone: (563) 689-6258, cell: (563) 212-2984

al

As I have now got some die blanks and I want to use the reamer for roughing out chambers, I will go for a reamer. I will probably go for the measurements you specified. I am hoping to use the brass at least a dozen times, so I didnt want to size it too much, it will be for a target gun, not a hunting gun which will need rapid firing with sand in the chamber. I thought about .001" undersize was the go, but I will go for .002-.003" under for the FLS die and use it for roughing out chambers.
Thanks for the heads up.

Die reamer

Depending on the material you are going to use to make your die. Some materials IE: 12L14, have to be heat treated and it shrinks. Some use a standard chamber reamer. Otherwise you need to tell the reamer maker what metal the die will be made of as well as provide a case.

Nat Lambeth

As I have now got some die blanks and I want to use the reamer for roughing out chambers, I will go for a reamer. I will probably go for the measurements you specified. I am hoping to use the brass at least a dozen times, so I didnt want to size it too much, it will be for a target gun, not a hunting gun which will need rapid firing with sand in the chamber. I thought about .001" undersize was the go, but I will go for .002-.003" under for the FLS die and use it for roughing out chambers.
Thanks for the heads up.

rooshooter, here's why. :)

.001 under IS the go, but to get that you must squeeze it a little harder because the brass springs back a little. It's like straightening a piece of wire, you bend it PAST and it springs back to where you want it.

And here's the other deal...... I suggest you get it set to .002 under at the shoulder and .003 under at the base and that will probably work...... BUT, if it doesn't it's a simple matter to hone or polish out the .001 from the die at the base. You can always make a die BIGGER :) but it's hard to smallify it once it's too big.

CYA is the rule I live by! :D

al

Back