How important is it?

V

vinny

I'm sharing this with all of ya because my buddy is the only man I would ever discuss politics with until I got sucked into this vortex. Steve would tell me "it's a bad neighborhood, don't go in alone" refering to this forum.
I recieved a phone call about an hour ago from my buddies wife. In so many words she said "Vin, Steve has brain cancer and doesn't have much time". Steve is a long time friend who made a living as a broker and is as far to the left as anyone I have ever met. He and I would discuss everything but never did we direspect eachother instead we respected eachothers positions. I have a lot of respect for the man, his political views are not how I define Steve. I define him by his love for his family, god and country. His desire to be the best he can be in all areas of life guided by his high level of values, morals and ethics. Never did Steve try to change my mind on any issue but instead tried to connect his position with mine. To find some commonality between two guys with polarizing political views was more important to him then changing my mind, or influncing me to come to his side or the "Dark side" as he would refer to jokingly. He lives far away now but he always has been and always will be my good friend.
Situations like this makes me wonder "How important is it" when refering to anything especially politics and how we are ready to create such pain for others. Is ones political ideology so important as to create enemies?
How important is it, not so important when you know your political opposition, a great friend will soon be gone!
Happy 4th
vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinny

I truly hope your friend is able to overcome his ailment. A well thought out statement you offer.

God comfort and bless Steve

Vinny, you have made a fine judgement and statement. We all will face our Maker in time. Some of my friends have different political opinions than I, but as you state, they are friends because of higher reasons. I just hope and pray that each of us will make a better world because of our actions.

I to hope your friend will prevail over his cancer.

Our best friends are from Spain and are the most liberal people we have ever met and I couldn't ask for better friends. They make the liberals here look like pussy cats.

gt40

This sure puts our priorities into perspective.

Vinny,

The friendship you and Steve have shared over the years is what you will remember long after he is gone. I am sure that it will comfort him greatly through this process. Friendship is so important.

Concho Bill

A great great dad, husband, friend and Democrat passed away. I new it was coming but its more painful then I anticipated especially when I remember his last words to me "Keep punchin baby". I spoke to him last week. Its sad, but he is in a good place. He believed where he is going knows nothing of race, religion ethnicity or politics. Steve believed the love and honesty that one exercised here on earth is what one takes with them. If this is true Steve must be pulling a freight train full of love and honesty because he exuded those virtues.
God speed baby
vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
SAd

I'm sorry to hear that vinny. Life seems so unfair at times. There are alot of silly sayings out there for times like these, but in the end it just plain hurts. My prayers are offered for you and the family.........Tracker

vinny,

I usually stay out of this sort of thing, but I am uplifted by your concise & moving story of your friendship with Steve. To a small but in no way inconsequential degree he is now part of my life experience too. Maybe that's what they mean by immortality.

John

Maybe this is when we realize it is most important!

It is so sad to hear when a friend's health is in jeopardy. I hope he gets better soon. How important is it? Maybe this is when we realize it is most important! The need to realize we all should be civil, caring and try to understand other people around us in this world. We're all in it together.

As a moderate liberal I only have one friend who also is a liberal. Every other close friend I have is a staunch conservative, my business partner, the best man of my wedding I shoot with today, and the buddy I've built classic cars with for 25 years. We all discuss politics regularly, but never get angry with each other and our opinions gradually become broader and closer as we talk. Why that doesn't work on this forum I don't know. It seems more a place to vent anger and frustration than to share dreams of a better world and how to get there. Maybe it is because many of us don't know each other as people, just strangers that typed opinions.

On another hobby forum I post on my most ardent conservative, critic has invited me to drag my trailer to his home in Texas for a steak barbeque and a visit. After lots of debates we have become friends who see each other as people and respect each others ideas. Why some can talk politics and religion and still become friends while others become threatened, angry and uncivil escapes my understanding. I guess the discussions just become a focus point for all their personal anger and frustration just like road ragers that flip you off in traffic, but would be polite face to face. It's easier to hate an anonymous person in a car or on a shooting forum than a person you are having coffee with!

Maybe that is were it all goes wrong? :confused: :confused:

Vinny,

I spoke to him last week. Its sad, but he is in a good place. He believed where he is going knows nothing of race, religion ethnicity or politics. God speed baby
vinny

Sorry for the loss of you amigo....sounds like you have faith he got the kitchen pass. All in all.....to me, THAT is the only thing that really matters.

I miss my Granddad more than words can describe, but I know I'll see him again some day.

blessings,

pf

Vinny

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. I know that must be tough on ya and I'll say a little prayer for his family.

If he is as you say, he's in a much better place now than this old earth.

Sorry I'm just getting this news, I had a brand new curriculum thrown in my face this past Tuesday and first day with students was Friday so I've been kinda busy and haven't been in here. I'm sure you of all people would understand.;)

Again, sorry to hear this piece of news.

Take care buddy............

Russell

Back