Home brewed rifle at the Nationals in Phoenix

V

Viking

Hi, I am new to this particular forum, although I am quite frequent on the GTA forum.(Tomg)

I had the pleasure of attending the nationals this past weekend with some top notch shooters from around the country, infact even someone from around the globe.
I thought I share my experience, I picked up a Benjamin Disco .22 PCP about 4 months ago, started to fiddle and tinker with it. It got me hooked so I built it, applied my ideas, tinkered and tinkered, reworked it over and over. Then the Nationals came and I knew it was a good shooter in the backyard, but in no way how it would perform with the big boys.
I dont have a lot of fancy tools, a dremel, a drill press and a table saw, common sense, and some ideas.

I probably have about 1200 bucks into it including scope, rest and bag. Now I just need to work on the guy behind the trigger:)

With the new barrel (custom TJ .22 from Jim Gaska), and my mods to that barrel and the tension sleeve, it was capable of 0.02" 5 shots groups at 25m regularly. And not particularly pellet fuzzy either. It does 18.1, 15.8 and 13.4 grains equally good at around 890fps.
I managed to shoot 702 / 17x at 25 in the nationals in the gusty wind, without any flags of my own (don't really have any practice reading them either...lol)

Here is a couple of pictures of the Monster, my friends call it the Viking Cyborg, I call it "Lovebelly #1"
My rest i put together with some parts I had sent to me as product samples (linear slide with carriage) for free, then picked up a bearing block for 20 bucks, some metal and a top bag for another 30 bucks.

20140501_133620.jpg

20140501_133236.jpg

20140501_133833.jpg

You have an amazing rifle there and you shot it well too

..." it was capable of 0.02" 5 shots groups at 25m regularly. And not particularly pellet fuzzy either. It does 18.1, 15.8 and 13.4 grains equally good at around 890fps" ....

One thing is for sure. There will be no more accurate rifle on any firing line than yours.
2/100" ctc is absolutely stunning accuracy and repeatable with three different pellets. ... Best regards, Harry in OZ.

I was very interested in this rig. A great guy who loves to tinker and built up a good gun and shot non stop on the practice range for two days. I think he was the only shooter there with out flags. This gun had a lot of tuning and mods. The barrel is in tension with the Carbon shroud and the bolt is a self retracting probe that worked very well. I got in a few shoots and was very impressed.
Glad we ran into each other there,

Chip

Lol, yes Chip, infact, I showed up with 3 1/2 tins (almost 2000 pellets) worth of 18.1gr JSB's and had to borrow 50 for my last run at the match (sighters) almost ran out...lol

Love it!

Thanks for the kind words Chip, it was great running into you too.

T

Hi, I am new to this particular forum, although I am quite frequent on the GTA forum.(Tomg)

I had the pleasure of attending the nationals this past weekend with some top notch shooters from around the country, infact even someone from around the globe.
I thought I share my experience, I picked up a Benjamin Disco .22 PCP about 4 months ago, started to fiddle and tinker with it. It got me hooked so I built it, applied my ideas, tinkered and tinkered, reworked it over and over. Then the Nationals came and I knew it was a good shooter in the backyard, but in no way how it would perform with the big boys.
I dont have a lot of fancy tools, a dremel, a drill press and a table saw, common sense, and some ideas.

I probably have about 1200 bucks into it including scope, rest and bag. Now I just need to work on the guy behind the trigger:)

With the new barrel (custom TJ .22 from Jim Gaska), and my mods to that barrel and the tension sleeve, it was capable of 0.02" 5 shots groups at 25m regularly. And not particularly pellet fuzzy either. It does 18.1, 15.8 and 13.4 grains equally good at around 890fps.
I managed to shoot 702 / 17x at 25 in the nationals in the gusty wind, without any flags of my own (don't really have any practice reading them either...lol)

Here is a couple of pictures of the Monster, my friends call it the Viking Cyborg, I call it "Lovebelly #1"
My rest i put together with some parts I had sent to me as product samples (linear slide with carriage) for free, then picked up a bearing block for 20 bucks, some metal and a top bag for another 30 bucks.

20140501_133620.jpg

20140501_133236.jpg

20140501_133833.jpg

Man, if you made that with a drill press, Dremel and table saw I give up.... and to think I was excited to get an old lathe a couple weeks ago to learn how to use! LOL

Nice looking gun! I have a ton of respect for guys that have a vision and make it happen.

Yes, the only piece I had made was main block under the rear stock (big piece of aluminum) since it required a couple very precise holes cut. So I had it done by a machine shop.
The rest of the hardware including the studs, bronze bearings, holds, thumbscrew holes, threads and taps, was done by hand.

Yes, a lot of work, but love the tinkering:)

T

did you modify a smallbore stock? Clever use of it if you did.

Yes, when I was a kid I did practice Biathlon, and like those rimfire stocks.
I ordered a couple of Ebay - Suhl 150 stocks, they run about 90 bucks.

T

Pleasure shooting with you Tom

For the Friday morning practice Tom was sitting on the bench next to me. I noticed he didn't have any flags. We struck up a conversation and Tom told me a little about the rifle he was shooting. I'm thinking a Disco with no wind flags, good luck. I tell Tom, I don't know how anyone can shoot well in the wind with no flags. After shooting for about an hour Tom brings over one of his targets and shows it to me. He was shooting at 1/4 inch circles and had center punched about 80% of them. It was an incredible performance in some difficult windy conditions. If Tom ever builds some flags and learns how to use them we are all in trouble.

It was a pleasure meeting you, hopefully we will do it again some time.

Jim in Sacramento

For the Friday morning practice Tom was sitting on the bench next to me. I noticed he didn't have any flags. We struck up a conversation and Tom told me a little about the rifle he was shooting. I'm thinking a Disco with no wind flags, good luck. I tell Tom, I don't know how anyone can shoot well in the wind with no flags. After shooting for about an hour Tom brings over one of his targets and shows it to me. He was shooting at 1/4 inch circles and had center punched about 80% of them. It was an incredible performance in some difficult windy conditions. If Tom ever builds some flags and learns how to use them we are all in trouble.

It was a pleasure meeting you, hopefully we will do it again some time.

Jim in Sacramento

Hi Jim,

It was a blast meeting you, I had a tonn of fun and learned a bunch. Like you said,
I need windflag, the drift is just insane. I was happy with my performance over the weekend.
The rifle performed very well, but there where a lot of super talented shooters there.
I soon figured out by watching, that I have a bit to go still.
Which makes this all fun!

Thanks for the kudos, much apreciated.

T

Tom,

It was great to meet you and your rifle certainly looks much better in person that what the pictures show. Glad you came by to share.

Back