Hitch when camming up on 700 bolt

robertb

I had a Rem 700 single point trued and rebarreled....Threads, bolt lugs, receiver face trued. The back of the lugs look smooth with no imperfection or variation to the naked eye. However, when I cam the bolt up while cocked, I can feel a slight 'tick'. A better way to put is that the resistance when camming up changes from more to less. This happens when I cam about 2/3 of the way up before the bolt dis-engages from the receiver lugs. With looking at the bolt lugs and them being smooth, I'm wondering is something else is causing the difference in feel. Any thoughts or ideas?

The guy who "trued" it buggered it up.....

It's out of time.

There are people here who can fix it, maybe they'll come on.

Hitches..........????

sounds like ramp angle on bolt body is boogered.... lessen ramp angle and stone.....

Are you talking about cocking area behind bolt handle being boogered? When I had it trued/rebarreled, the 'smith tig'ed the bold handle on well. In looking at the ramp, it appears to look fine. Is this something I can inspect with layout fluid?

I'll try and get some pics. This rig has already been sent out twice. Once for the build and once to correct bedding. There truly is a difference b/t different 'smiths work.

Upon further inspection, I removed the firing pin and examined the cocking ramp. It looks like there is a small variation (i.e. small dimple) in the cocking ramp right about the area where the firing pin head rides up the cocking ramp when opened. I noticed it was dry and put some copper anti-sieze on the cocking ramp and it's seemed to smooth out the bolt when opening. In this case, I'm not sure it was the 'smiths fault as much as maybe attention to detail on the cocking ramp.

I've seen 700's that were marginal in extraction camming new from the factory. The bolt handle may need to be moved forward after having the cuts done on the bolt face and receiver lugs to have good extraction camming. I've also seen actions that have had a taper lapped into the lugs causing them to tighten up the headspace the farther the bolt is closed. This is usually done when the lugs are lapped in using a spring loaded plunger to keep force against the bolt when lapping and when truing cuts haven't been done on the lugs. If the bolt and receiver lugs are cleaned up by machining, then all lapping is just a quick lap to insure full contact on the bolt lugs.

Back