Here's what you can do in the privacy of your closet........

VaniB

I have converted a spare bedroom closet into a central headquarters for my favorite sport and pastime. Of course I'm talking about handloading. (...cartridges that is)

This is a good means to keep all the stuff neat and orderly as well as to be able to reload my cartridges out of sight from others. As a security measure, keeping your reloading bench out of view from your kid's friends, or hidden from visiting service people, will also help to reduce the chances of a break-in and the theft of your guns. If you are fortunate to have one of the newer houses or apartments built from about the mid 1970's or newer when builders started prioritizing closet and storage space, then there's good chances you have at least one extra closet to spare. (.....that is if your wife won't queak louder then a rusty barn door hinge about it!)

My closet, converted to a single purpose reloading room, is approximately 5' wide by 5' long. It affords me plenty of work room while sharing an interior living space which helps maintain a much drier and stable climate for the powder, tools and supplies then would say having a reloading bench located in the garage. I planned and constructed my work bench and storage so most everything is exposed and easy to see and access. I laid gray formica onto the 1 1/2" thick bench top (which is constructed of doubled 3/4" plyboards) and fastened the bench top to a solid 2"x4" frame work. I ran the 2"x4" framing from wall to wall so that everything is ridgid and stable. As you can see from the photos, underneath the bench top and along the walls I ran plenty of shelves to provide ample storage space. In addition to the standard incandescent light bulb on the ceiling, I also installed an additional fluorescent workshop light over the bench, as well as a small ceiling fan, and a couple of extra 110 outlets.

This is a much better setup then what I had at my last house many years ago which was a learning experience when I constructed my first ever 4'x8' work bench. I built it along the length of a wall in a spare bedroom. Under those conditions everything was exposed to guests and service people. It looked ugly as sin too. Bless my wife for having been a good sport and putting up with it.

If you might so desire, you and yours can keep it a secret, that of which lurks behind a closed shadowy door......

Ahhhh.......Behold the endless hours of joy that can await you too, in your very own personal mancave!

And of course, if you have carpeting, don't forget to put an old bed sheet or a dropcloth down over it. As rare as the Mrs. would ever venture into this closet, some how I just know that through "woman's intuition" she will catch me standing on top of an old sooty primer that is being ground into the rug.

And the parting word of wisdom for this post;

Some of the great pharos of ancient Egypt wanted to spend an eternity in a pyramid filled with gold and other worldly treasures! But me? I'm a simple guy...... When it's my time to go, just wheel me here into this closet and close the door.

When it's your turn to go.... I'll wheel you OUT and wheel ME in and close the door :) ..... don't need no old goozer stinkin' up the reloading room....

Well done!

I am sure that your wife will know where to look for you now.

Enjoy all your hard work .

Glenn:D

Looks great but where do you put your jean and T-shirts? LOL!! Very nice and organized. I like a well organized work area!!! Lee

Nice use of space, good thinking.

I tried that in our spare closet, but my wife locked the door on me when I was in it and cut the bottom of the door off an inch and a half so she could slide the TV dinner under the door to me.

sorry couldn't help myself, didn't mean to take your great work away from you.

Very nice and very well organized. I've got a loading room that nobody goes in except for me, my dog, and invited "guests". My wife will venture in to tell me something, but otherwise leaves me alone.

I wish I had your woodworking skills though, my bench is strong but definitely not a thing of beauty.

nice use of space, good thinking.

I tried that in our spare closet, but my wife locked the door on me when i was in it and cut the bottom of the door off an inch and a half so she could slide the tv dinner under the door to me.

Sorry couldn't help myself, didn't mean to take your great work away from you.

"roflmao"

Nice use of space, good thinking.

I tried that in our spare closet, but my wife locked the door on me when I was in it and cut the bottom of the door off an inch and a half so she could slide the TV dinner under the door to me.

sorry couldn't help myself, didn't mean to take your great work away from you.

yeahhh??? well my wife, knowing that the reloading room is COMPLETELY off-limits, like call before you knock, likes to come inside and lock the door....

I hadda' make my room BIGGER..

life is tough and rhymes are hard

al

Back