Help with Carbide Inserts

DSM

Chuck
I have a pack of carbide inserts and it appears the manufacturer is no longer in business. They fit the indexed tool bits that I have for turning but not sure of the manufacturer of those either. For all I know, the carbide inserts and tool bits are the same brand?

Anyhow, how do I know what to order for replacement? My main thing is, I would like to get few more that has less of a radius on the tips. Are the triangle inserts pretty much standard sized? Can I sharpen or shape them with a diamond wheel or hand stone?

inserts1.jpg

inserts2.jpg

DSM,
You have the numbers on the sticker on the lid - TCMM 322 and TT 322. Look in the MSC catalog for these.
Regards, Ron

Would you happen to know what the numbers and letters mean? By judging by the search parameters on MSC, the TT stands for style and 322 is the size. But what does that mean? I can't seem to find one that has a 0 or 1/64 corner radius.

Check out the carbide depot webiste, over on the right side click on technical resources, then insert designation chart.

This will explain the meaning of all the letters and numbers of the different inserts.

Hope this helps

Joe Hynes

Thanks for the tip. Funny thing is, I stumbled upon a chart on Arthur Warner Tool website that explains the letter/number. I believe they have some HSS inserts for my tooling and will drive over and see what they have...they are 15 min from me.

I have heard they are top of the line, especially for the small lathes. I haven't bought any yet though, it's on the list.

Joe Hynes

Back