Help with an AR

TomD

e publius unum
I've had an AR, a Colt Hbar Match Elite for close to 20 years but have never been in the "black rifle" world. Just acquired the pictured CAR, as I guess you would call it, with a flat top receiver. It needs a sighting system. I have no intention of ever shooting this in a match, just looking at it as a when-all-else-fails defense. Any suggestions on sights?

DSC1091_zpsbc47959d.jpg

For this rifle I'd like just a aperture (probably) rear that will work with the AR standard front that it already has. And not a folding, reduced size one that was made as a backup to the optics. An iron sight in any case.

Look on Brownell's, the early flat tops came with a removeable handle with sights that makes it look just like the early style uppers. These a still available if the scare hasn't made them unavailable.

What will work right now:

DPMS Detachable Rear Sight, Brownells part number 231-000-006AH

This sight will work with the front sight you already have, because it is Mil-Spec, A-2 style................................................

Tom,
I would do 2 things 1 Eotech Holographic sight,mounted a bit forward and then a Magpul MBUS flip up aperture sight. Once mounted and sighted in fold down the MBUS. both of these will co witness with the front sight and you can use the apeture with the Eotech still in place. The Eotech is the pricy part, about $529.00 but well worth the money, there are some knock offs of the Eotech that do quite well but when it comes down to crap hitting the fan I want the best sitting on top of my AR! The Magpul MBUS should be about $59.00

If all you really want to revert to this weapon is for a SHTF defense weapon, I don't think you can go any better then an Eotech holographic sight. It instantly puts an adjustable intensity red dot on your target. You can also put an Eotech magnifier in back of that sight if you don't mind getting up in expense. Or, leave off the magnifier and simply put an ARMS or TROY style back-up iron sight in back of the Eotech. The B.U.I.S flip up or down quickly so you can look right through the clear glass window of the Eotech. I've got all 3 of these devices mounted on the flat-top of my Colt AR.

and...........

EDIT; I was in the middle of posting this at the same time as steelheads' post above. There you go; 2 EOTECH recommedations!! The magpuls work well enough at that price, but it's my personal preference to spend $50 more and go with metal constructed BUIS sights. Keep away from Chinese clones that kids are buying to put on their paintball guns. Below is a photo of all 3 devices I've mentioned. In the photo you see the 3x magnifier is mounted on a flip-to-side mount, and the BUIS are tucked below the back of the magnifier. But again, the magnifier is optional and you can go for the Eotech with or without flip-up cowitnessing BUIS mounted in back of it. What's fine for our troops and tactical police works for me!

6920withEotechs.jpg

EDIT, EDIT;

Here's another way of doing it. However, if you decide to mount a detachable scope in back of your Eotech, keep in mind your magnification will be limited to about 8X before your images become blurry/distorted through the window of your Eotech. With this set up of using say a 4x-7X scope, you can do informal target shooting. The combinatons are plentiful. It just depends what suits you best and tickles your fancy.

RRAwithdetached4200scope.jpg

Last edited:
VaniB, can't help noticing the depth of the magazine well on your weapon. To protect against mag damage due to knocking into stuff in tight quarters? But you're restricted to 30 round mags?

Oops, took a closer look and see it is a spare magazine, very handy. At first glance it looks like a very deep mag well.

VaniB, can't help noticing the depth of the magazine well on your weapon. To protect against mag damage due to knocking into stuff in tight quarters? But you're restricted to 30 round mags?

Oops, took a closer look and see it is a spare magazine, very handy. At first glance it looks like a very deep mag well.

Tom.
It's a "redi-mag" holder which is a device that simply keeps another spare magazine ready to go. In the photo it is holding a 20 round mag but will hold a 30 as well. It's a matter of personal preference of which system you want to use to hold a spare magazine, and some guys simply use clips to hold two magazines together. I prefer to have them held seperately and apart with this device, even though it adds weight. The redi mag has small rubber pads to prevent your receiver from being scratched. Overall, this colt still weighs considerably less with all this stuff then does the railed and scoped 18" AR you see in the other photo. It's my go to weapon but is also fun to shoot 1" to 1 1/4" 5 shot groups at the 100 yard range.

What will work right now:

DPMS Detachable Rear Sight, Brownells part number 231-000-006AH

This sight will work with the front sight you already have, because it is Mil-Spec, A-2 style................................................

There are 2 different heights of front sight towers - the Mil-Spec A2, and the F stamped front sight. The reason for this is that the flat top with removable carry handle is a different height than the original A2 carry handle. If you are going to use the front sight tower as is, then it might be a good start to be sure which one was installed. More than likely it's an F stamped front tower on that gun and should line up perfect with a removable handle assembly.

If you plan on doing a lot of long range 200-600yrd shooting, the lower front site can help you by not having to use up as much rear sight elevation.

Nice pic of the rifle i am big fan of the guns rather its shorter or bigger..How much bullet is fired in one minute?How much bullet is under in the magazine of this gun?Black color is specially very attractive..

Back