Help identifying PO Ackley rifle..

L

Lostnthesauce

Identifying PO Ackley rifle update.

I'm trying to find information out on a rifle which my father picked up sometime in the early 80's. It appears to be a bench rest rifle built on a 98 Mauser action (marked on left side "Gewr 98"). The left side of the barrel is marked "243 WIN" with "P.O. Ackley 6 * 47" below that. The number 4?69 is marked on the front part of the receiver and I'm guessing it's the serial #. The rifle sits in a Fajen stock and it's set up with a set trigger.

DSCF1247.jpg
DSCF1249.jpg

Any information you guys might have including approximate value would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about PO Ackley's rifles but I was once a monstrous fan of his books and his work. I own one rifle built by him and have seen two others. All of the ones I know of are signed by him using a vibrating punch, hokey as all getout but authentic ;)

Also, the three I know of all have a paperback pamphlet, almost a small book with them.

I think you may have trouble proving provenance unless it's signed...... or maybe he marked some differently??? I dunno.

Do you have any ammunition? Preferably empty fired cases?

al

No casings or paperwork unfortunately. I'll post a pic of the caliber and PO Ackley. Maybe someone has seen this setup before.

Thanks Alinwa.

I have a sporter built by P.O.Ackley. It is a 6.5X257 Roberts Ackley improved.
It is an FN Supreme action and the barrel is signed as stated above on the lower side hidden by the stock. The work and finish are outstanding and it shoots as good as it looks. Mine had a journal with it when it was originally picked up at P.O.'s shop. When I aquired the rifle from the origional owner, a family friend, the journal could not be found. :(
Mark

All the Rifles i have seen that Parker Ackley built, always had the Ackley signature on them someplace.

When I went to rotate the picture, it turned it into a mirror image instead. It is in fact a right handed bolt. I didn't notice this until Kielly said something. Thanks.

I added a picture. I've taken the rifle out of the stock and can find no other markings other than those I've already mentioned. The picture shows the only "PO Ackley" on the rifle.

I appreciate those of you who have taken a look at this and contributed what you knew. Hopefully, given time, I'll be able to piece a little more history together for this rifle.

I think there is a guy................

named Dennis Bellm who bought all Ackley's stuff before he checked out. I want to say "Bullberry Barrel Works". Look in the back of Gun Digest(The [yearly] Book), you should be able to scare him up, he's in SLC. ;)

ther only po i have ever seen, WAS a left hand 98 mauser action in 06.

the shop owner had just bought it, and did not have a clue on a selling price.
it was in a small shop in madison wi.... i was only in town for 2 days...he could not make up his mind...and i left for sunny colorado....

mike in co

Never seen Ackley's Signature

I have worked on a couple of Ackley's rifles over the years, still have the barrel off of one that I replaced several years ago. I do not see a signature on it, and have never seen one, not to say he didn't do it, just never seen it. He did have a stamp for his name that is common on all of them - that I have seen. It usually reads P.O. Ackley and then under that the caliber it is chambered in. your stamp looks just like the one on the barrel I have - and have seen.

I just couldn't get rid of the barrel, too much nostalgic memories of the man to trash one of his barrels, even shot out . . . :p I started building rifles back in the mid 60's and Mr. Ackley was still alive - he was the man . . . Had a good friend that moved to Idaho and lived about a mile or so from him, he used to tell me stories about his visits with him, at that time Idaho was the other side of the world . . never got to meet the man, but read nearly all his books, still have them. ;) I now wish I had ask my friend to get some signed copies from him . . wow would that be a treasure . .

I have worked on a couple of Ackley's rifles over the years, still have the barrel off of one that I replaced several years ago. I do not see a signature on it, and have never seen one, not to say he didn't do it, just never seen it. He did have a stamp for his name that is common on all of them - that I have seen. It usually reads P.O. Ackley and then under that the caliber it is chambered in. your stamp looks just like the one on the barrel I have - and have seen.

I just couldn't get rid of the barrel, too much nostalgic memories of the man to trash one of his barrels, even shot out . . . :p I started building rifles back in the mid 60's and Mr. Ackley was still alive - he was the man . . . Had a good friend that moved to Idaho and lived about a mile or so from him, he used to tell me stories about his visits with him, at that time Idaho was the other side of the world . . never got to meet the man, but read nearly all his books, still have them. ;) I now wish I had ask my friend to get some signed copies from him . . wow would that be a treasure . .

Mine doesn't have a stamp. When I say "signed" it's how he marked the gun.

al

Back