Help Deciding ona Caliber

T

Talon1959

I have a Rem 700 ADL 7MM-08 that I got really cheap (distress sale). It's an ok rifle, but nothing special. I have always wanted to have a semi custom rifle.

I bought an HS Precision stock with bottom metal off e-bay. Now I've got the bug to get a better trigger and a SS barrel.

This will be a hunting gun and informal target gun. I like the 7MM-08, but I was wondering what I can chamber this rifle for that may be different. My go-to hunting gun is my M70 7MM WSM. I have a 300 WSM that I bought for a trip to Africa, but my company sold out to new owners and our vacation days got cancelled. It's just waiting for next year.

Thanks in advance and I hope you guys are having the same weather we are having in Houston right now (75 degrees and sunny).

The upcoming 6.5 Creedmoore looks like a winner. There is always the tried and true .260 Remington. The .308 Win offers lots of flexibility and excellent barrel life.

I was thinking .308 but my XR-100 is a .308 Win. The .308 is still on the short list.

I think most people here will ask you to be more specific on what sort of hunting and target shooting you plan on doing with it.

I liked Jackie Schmidt's reply to this question, as it comes up a lot.
His answer is "Any caliber Lapua makes brass for"

Great line of thinking, even if you don't use Lapua brass!

You have the big stuff covered, so think about 6.5mm, 6mm or maybe 22 cal.

Ben

Deer, Yotes, and Paper

I know that this is a stupid question, but would the bolt have to be modified to make it into a 6MM BR?:confused:

I gotta save for the barrel. The price to have a Hart barrel mated to the receiver is $600 (bbl inc). I'm assuming that's about par for these type barrels if you order them chambered.

I believe a 6mmBR would work fine.

I usually buy Shilen Select Match barrels from Bruno for about $240 or so. That isn't too bad. My local smith will square your receiver face, bolt face, lap the lugs, and install and chamber a barrel for about $150. So all in all, I figure a new barrel costs me about $400.

I know that this is a stupid question, but would the bolt have to be modified to make it into a 6MM BR?:confused:

I gotta save for the barrel. The price to have a Hart barrel mated to the receiver is $600 (bbl inc). I'm assuming that's about par for these type barrels if you order them chambered.

No mods required. Remington 700's require you give your rifle to the smith to re-work. no drop in barrels per say.

Talk to some local smiths and see what kinda deal they will give you. Where are you located?

Last edited:
Many Thanks

I'm in Houston, but I don't mind shipping it off. I'll take a look at the Shilen and maybe get the trigger there as well.

barrel life factor

Go with a .260 will do everything you ask and do every thing for a longer period of time awesome round for deer and coyotes...cartridge has proven itself repeatedly here in South Dakota for the things you mention especially when the wind blows.

Back