Help a friend select a benchrest action

Boyd Allen

A friend who is not on a budget is building a new rifle for benchrest and he is trying to decide what action. I told him that the Stiller 2500 would probably be what I would go with, but today he asked me about the Turbo and how they compare. I told him that I don't know, but that I would ask those that do and compete. Please share your opinions. We will appreciate it. Thanks
Boyd Allen

+1 for the 2500x. Too many reasons to spell out. I've owned both old and new Turbo actions. I still shoot the 2500x. bob

Bob is right. The Turbo derivatives are great products and perform very well no better or worse than a 2500.
The primary consideration here is that often they need tinkering/ tuning etc. and the 2500 is pretty much ready to run.
If your friend is not well versed, has no experience with rimfire smiths, doesn’t really have a network of practiced hands, he is much more likely to have a pleasant result with the 2500 and he can then move on and drive himself nuts trying to figure out what barrel to fit.

Not knowing much, but going with the advise of a well known RF BR Smith, I went with the 2500X action.

Bob

2500X Action

If I were building a new RFBR rifle, and money/weight were not an issue, I would begin with a Holeshot Arms 2500X action. Have it fitted with a Shilen Ratchet .900" barrel, BixNAndy trigger and a McMillan Straightline (Solid Fill) stock.

If money was an issue, then the DiOrio Turbo VI action would be a very good alternative ... with some minor blueprinting work. Both actions are winners! John

If I were building a new RFBR rifle, and money/weight were not an issue, I would begin with a Holeshot Arms 2500X action. Have it fitted with a Shilen Ratchet .900" barrel, BixNAndy trigger and a McMillan Straightline (Solid Fill) stock.

If money was an issue, then the DiOrio Turbo VI action would be a very good alternative ... with some minor blueprinting work. Both actions are winners! John

I agree with the above, but would add the Holeshot Arms Trident action to the list. The Trident and the 2500X actions are both as close to flawless as you can get.

Turbo VI? Don’t see it on the Turbo sight. Regardless a Turbo V2 BR is $1k plus. By the time a couple hundred $ is spent on the blueprint the cost difference between HoleShot and Turbo almost becomes a wash. That said does the new ($1,200) V3 need any gunsmithing?
As was said both are winners.

Turbo VI

Turbo VI? Don’t see it on the Turbo sight. Regardless a Turbo V2 BR is $1k plus. By the time a couple hundred $ is spent on the blueprint the cost difference between HoleShot and Turbo almost becomes a wash. That said does the new ($1,200) V3 need any gunsmithing?

Ralph,

The Turbo VI is readily available for $900.00 ... and in most cases, the action only needs some polishing as far as the blueprinting goes. It's a two lug action and a good deal for the economy minded individual. I believe Tom Wilkinson and Chuck Morrell compete with a Turbo VI and both are very successful shooters. I like the Turbo I own and it functions well. However, it's not as slick or smooth as the 2500 X action that I have shot. John

Link: http://www.turboaction.net/our-products-services/turbo-v1/

If history is any measure, I’d lay money on it.

Turbo

My v3 needed very little work and very minor work. Also the V1 has the improvement modifications that were Implemented in the V3 done to it as well now. I believe both are very well manufactured actions. It can be a hard decision and usually comes down to preference. You may want to look at the PSL website and go through the equipment lists to determine your choice. Lots of opinions out there for sure. Not sure if I’m helping or not but just what I have.

Jason

Back