Hello to everyone!!!

U

UNVMYWJ

I am new to the sight and like it. I was reading on other sights and they recommended I come here and check things out. I also had a question that they thought you guys would be able to answer for me.

It looks like I am going to have some good reading on here and what I have seen so far I am very pleased. I am not sure where to post this question I have so I will put it here. I am sure it will be relocated by mods if I have screwed up. Here is my story...

I happened across a remington 40x the other day in a gun shop and it was the ugliest thing I ever saw. Mamoth barrel on it, huge ugly stock with some kind of rail on the bottom. Heavy as He** to hold.

Long story short I did a little research and went and bought it today. I told the guy how ugly it was and didnt think he would be able to sell it ever! Got it for 400 bucks. This thing is in mint condition. Stock looks brand new, Barrel has zero sign of wear. Bolt serial number matches the gun.

During my research of the gun I found an article that said the serial number will end with a B. (eg XXXXXXB) and no other letter. Mine ends in C. Does anyone know what the C means. This gun is obviously not a knock off and if it is I cant tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

UNV

Hi UNV

My first 6PPC BR rifle was built on a Rem 40X BR action. It too had a heavy wooden stock on it but the BR trigger and action were in good condition. Strangely enough the seriel number on its action also ended in C. I know for a fact it is a genuine remington because it was still in factory spec when the dealer sold it to me. I had know idea until I read your post that there was anything about the ending of the serial number that was off. Best you contact Remington to see if they can shed any light on the subject.
Andy in Oz.

I have sent Remington an email to see if they can provide me with any info possible. After doing a few hours of looking last night I thing the C either stands for center fire or custom. But I have found information that contradicts both. There is a version that is called the 40 XC that has all the same markings on mine, right down to the 7.62 nato on the barrel. The sights are different though. Oh well maybe someone can shed some light one day. I did figure out that it was built in Jan 1978 based on serial # proximity and lettering on barrel.

C has nothing to do with centerfire. For some years the suffix was a B and then C. To get an exact date you would have to have the barrel date stamp. Sounds like yours has been rebarreled. If I remember I will check my Remington book and will give you a close approximation of the build date.
Butch

Letters on Barrel are BQ. That indicated 1978 or 1996. Too bad it has been rebarreled, I guess I got burned paying 400 for it. Maybe I will try and sell at next gun show in the area. Maybe get a couple hundred for it. Thanks for the information, I thought I may have found something awsome here. Appreciate the help.

Letters on Barrel are BQ. That indicated 1978 or 1996. Too bad it has been rebarreled, I guess I got burned paying 400 for it. Maybe I will try and sell at next gun show in the area. Maybe get a couple hundred for it. Thanks for the information, I thought I may have found something awsome here. Appreciate the help.

It seems like you have a 40XC, not a 40XB. There is a difference Can you post a photo? You shouldn't sell it for $200 until you find out exactly what it is. It might not be rebarelled. Even if it is the action alone is worth more than $200.

To see a photo of a 40XC in 7.62 Nato with a walnut stock go to www.snipershide.com.

Why not use it

unvm - Your obviously into shooting so why not use the action and build a prairie dog varmint rig.
Andy.

Attempt 2

newgun4.jpg

newgun3.jpg

newgun2.jpg

NewGun1.jpg

Yup, 40XC, used..............

for NM shooting, I believe, but if its as you say w/a low/no round count, you should be able to find someone who is a competitor who may wish to use it, or even a collector who wants it to round out a collection.

Winchester at one time made a similar offerring; and neither of those guns, being special-order items, was a common sight, therefor the collector value.

I doubt either of them are still available.

Lucky stumble, eh?
And quite the bargain, too.....;)

I finally heard back from Remington. Here is what they said.

The rifle was produced in January of 1978. The serial numbers have ran in several variations. The "B" series of serial numbers began in 1964 and ran until 1976 when they became "C" numbers for the most part. From 1955 until 1963 there was no letter suffix on them at all.

Now I know what the C is lol... Just another letter.

Thank you all for your input. I may hang onto it, I was hoping that Remington would have given me a little more detail on it. I think it has the H2 barrel on it cuz it has a little numer 2 nex to the REP.

Yes it is in mint condition. There is very very little wear anywhere. One mild scratch below oposite side of reciever but easily taken out. Not deep at all.

Hellberta is Alberta Canada hahaha. It's either hot as He** or Cold as He** lol

The "B" series of serial numbers began in 1964 and ran until 1976 when they became "C" numbers for the most part.

This is not accurate. The 40XB models continued to have "B" marked serial numbers--I had one built in 1995 that had the "B" suffix.

I just copied and pasted what he sent me. Sorry, not trying to mislead.

I think were are getting prefix and suffix mixed up. I think I was guilty using that term. A serial number B in the prefix was used for a number of years and then they went to the C prefix. I don't think were are talking about 40X[C] or 40X.
Butch

Back