Hello From Alberta.

M

My3KidsDad

Just found your forum and wanted to say hello after registering. I live with my wife Vera, and family in Alberta (near Edmonton). I have become interested in bench/target shooting and hope to begin learning how to do it better, maybe even compete some day. Have a rebarreled lefty Ruger in 6.5x55 with 1/8" twist, 25 inches long. Looking forward to building my first loads for the new box of berger 140g. VLD's on my shelf, after settling on a good working load for 120g. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

By the way, has anybody tried this idea of coating bullets in Otis's ceramic coating lining for your barrel? Apparently you spray in some kind of coating and shoot it to transform your barrel with it. It is supposed to give unreal lifetime use, making the barrel very hard and resilient to wear.

Welcome Dad and hope you enjoy the forums. Ceramic takes a great amount of heat to apply. Shooting a barrel won't get it that hot. I believe that it is another snake oil product.
Butch

Was just up in Alberta late last week in Canmore. Beautiful country and fantastic mountains, but the prices made my poor old eyes water.

When I first saw the Otis ad for their barrel coating stuff I went to their website to check it out, having been, uh, suckered in to a product that was supposed to do something magical to the bore maybe 15 or so years ago. I'd say that Butch is probably about 99.5% correct in his assessment of the product. I'd have to see an independent test of it that gave the pros and cons of the stuff before I tried it.

Sort of makes me think of stuff advertised to increase fuel mileage from cow magnets on fuel lines to devices that go inside the air cleaner to "spin the air" that are promoted but never tested independently.

Back