Heavy barrel blanks

C

Cowden

I have 3 #7 contour 22 RF blanks that are from about 15 years ago. My question is what to do with them. I see all the shooters are going to light contours and use tuners. The actions are not heavy enough to support these heavy barrels. I think I was going to use them on a 40x, 52 , or Kelby Swindlehurst action. Now I see all the actions have small threads and are very short so I think I am going to have to have the big barrels turned down and then I don't know what that would do to the quality of the bore. Do you think turning would change the bore size or would a good smith be alright doing this.

Unless those are very special bores, I think you could buy new barrels for what it would cost to contour those. I'd probably sell them to a 40x collector or builder and buy the thin contour barrel you want.

GsT

Very few use anything other than straight blanks. That said put a decent price on'em and throw them up in the classified section and they'd likely sell.

Shoot em'. Just because most rf br rifles have 875-.900 straights doesn't mean the #7 won't shoot just as well or even better. Some of the best shooting rf rifles I've built were with that contour. The reason most use a .900 straight or smaller is not because they are better. If I were building myself another ARA unlimited rifle, I'd use a #7 HV contour to build with. I'm sure others will disagree so flame on.

Thanks Mike

I have this 1 barrel up for sale and it is .750 at the muzzle and 28.5 long with a 1.200 shank. Karl Kenyon is the one that told me Gary Schneider was making some very good rimfire barrels. I don't have a action to use it on and I am not planning on shooting matches anyway.

Back