head scratcher ??

UncleB

have a 6ppc as most of us do, I have been struggling to get it to shoot as well as I like. In March I put on a new Bartlein 1-14" twist barrel .262" neck shooting Cheeks 66gr fb, a light load of N133 by most of you here 27.4gr. have the bullet at just touch. with this combo I have shot the best groups of my life.................until it hits 80 degrees, once the temp rises above 80 degrees it simply will not shoot. I have tried many powder and bullet seating combos but it steadfastly refuses to shoot above 80 degrees. anybody else have this happen ???? any ideas ????

have a 6ppc as most of us do, I have been struggling to get it to shoot as well as I like. In March I put on a new Bartlein 1-14" twist barrel .262" neck shooting Cheeks 66gr fb, a light load of N133 by most of you here 27.4gr. have the bullet at just touch. with this combo I have shot the best groups of my life.................until it hits 80 degrees, once the temp rises above 80 degrees it simply will not shoot. I have tried many powder and bullet seating combos but it steadfastly refuses to shoot above 80 degrees. anybody else have this happen ???? any ideas ????

Classic case of rifle going out of tune as atmospheric conditions (mainly temp) change. N-133 seems to be especially sensitive to it but when it's right it's awesome.

The answer? Learn to keep the rifle in tune by changing the powder charge as temp increases. How much and which way? Expert shooters have been trying to get that perfected for years and obviously a few of them have it figured out but what about the rest of us? What's the secret?

After many years of trial and error, mostly error, I decided to try the adjustable tuner thing. That was about fifteen years ago and I'm happy and proud to say that is the answer. Get in touch with Mike Ezell and/or Richard Brensing, also Daryl Loker and avail yourself of the latest in tuners and how to use them.

Good shootin'!

Gene Beggs

Oh Man..... lissen to Gene. Read it three times.....Then maybe search Gene Beggs 'tuning' or 'tunnel' or 'density altitude' or 'bore' if you want to start exploring the 'WHY'

To alla' you'se reading this that don't yet own a PPC;

THIS is the classic conundrum, how to keep it in tune.

First ya' gets that rifle that WILL SHOOT

Second ya' learns to SHOOT IT

And then the head scratchin' starts!

Best of luck UncleB, you're gettin' good help ;)

Thanks Gene, I have tried a bunch of different things but never really considered a tuner (old Browning Boss nightmares I guess).
I have noticed more and more of them at the match's, will have to give it a try.

Thanks Gene, I have tried a bunch of different things but never really considered a tuner (old Browning Boss nightmares I guess).
I have noticed more and more of them at the match's, will have to give it a try.

Uncle B

The road to where we are today with tuners has been a long one, but the journey was worth it. Most centerfire shooters became bored and discouraged with all the misinformation that circulated on the subject for years which has made it difficult to get anyone to listen to anything said about tuners. But believe me, we have finally arrived and have come a long way since Browning Boss days. You won't believe how simple the answers proved to be but as with so many other things, once you really get it 'right' it all becomes so ridiculously simple.

We owe a great deal to the following gentlemen for their hard work and determination with centerfire tuners.
In no particular order they are:

Rodney Brown
Mike Ezell
Daryl Loker
Richard Brensing

There are certainly others such as Jackie Schmidt, Gene Bukys, Jerry Sharrett, and many I'm no doubt forgetting to include but you get the idea. Get in touch with Mike Ezell or Richard Brensing. They both offer state-of-the-art installation and on site training in the use of tuners.

Gene Beggs

Back