Has anyone perfected a 6.5 Creedmoor case from 308 brass?

Humpy

I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor after looking around it seems it can be made from 308 of which I have a pile of once fired 308 cases.

What I have so far:

6.5 Creedmoor dies

6.5 Creedmore shoulder bump die

I have been making cases and so far I have refined the process by first running empty 308 case in a RCBS 6.5X55 trim die to take down the neck but I had troubles with the shoulders wanting to dimple in when I ran them in Creedmoor dies.

Next I found the 6.5 Shoulder bump die and ordered one and it too wants to dimple the shoulder unless I adjust the dies about 6 to 8 times to gently roll shoulder back for every case.

Then on a lark I ran 308 cases into a 260 FL die and they come out about 99% formed and go in a L E Wilson Creedmoor case gage about 99%. I trim the cases with a Wilson trimmer but the shoulders still don't fit right.

I just spotted a 260 RCBS FL die only on ebay at a good price and ordered it. It appears I could take about .025 to .035 off the bottom of a 260 FL die and hopefully will be able to form the body in one pass, shorten the case length and be good to go.

Just wondering if anyone else has a plan for making 6.5 Creedmore cases from 308

neck down to 6.5mm

Humpy -

Howdy !

It is possible you might have to do either an inside neck ream, or.... outside neck turn on the cases; if the neck-down from .308 to 6.5mm ends up thickening the neck
walls too much.

With regards,
357Mag

357 Mag, For Sure. Soon as they come out of die I trim for length and before loading I run them through my Marquart tool.

Back