Hartbroken and need help with Anschutz 64

82boy

Patrick Kennedy
I recently fell in love with rim fire rifles, as a long time center fire Benchrest shooter a buddy of mine got me hook with shooting his Anschutz 54 super match. I found what I thought was a great rifle for a good price, it is a Savage Anschutz 64. I got it for $400.00 which I thought was a good price. I mounted one of my T36 weavers and meet my buddy out at the range. This gun shoots like crap will not put two bullets together for nothing most groups was wild and around 4 inches. We tried 7 different brands of ammo. (Sk Rifle, Wolf Match extra, CCI standard velocity, Fiocchi silver startdust, Lapua Master L, Eley club, Eley 10x,) Tried cleaning the gun with little to no improvement. We switched scopes from his 54 and it did the same thing. His 54 just shots dots all day long. Anyhow disappointed I took the gun to my friend who is a great gunsmith, he took his bore scope out, and showed me this barrel badly pitted end to end. I called the gun store and they said they would work to make things right.

So this leads me to my questions.

At what price would this gun be worth?

Is the gun worth re-barreling?

what are my options?

what would you do?

Do you want it straight or sugar coated..??

To start with, you are learning that age old saying that "you get what you pay for". You got a rifle that will shoot like a $400.00 rifle.. You should have done a little research and you would have found out, that among the Anschutz rifle, it is the Model 54, not the 64, that is the preferred match rifle.. Now, there are a couple of 64's that I have heard of, that were competitive in local matches, but very few... As far as putting on a new barrel, you will spend more for getting a new barrel put on that 64, than you will have spent for the rifle..

I would try and sell the rifle and look around for another rifle.. A Winchester 52 C or D, a Remington 40-X, a Anschutz 54, A Suhl 150 or any of the custom built BR rifles is what you need.. Be prepared to spend somewhere between a low of $1000.00 to $3500.00+..

Then you will have to find a good ammo and that means, usually, Eley Match or Tenex, Lapua Midas or Center-X or something compatible to those ammo.. Oh, and expect to pay anywhere from $12 to $20 a box for your ammo..

You are finding out that this is not a cheap game. This rimfire benchrest is a lot of fun and you will have a good time, but be prepared to spend a lot of time testing and tuning your rifle.. Oh.. and have deep pockets.

JMHO

By the way... This was sugar coated...

Dave

Back