H414 Problem

John S

I don't use H414, but I won a pound of it at a rifle match so I decided to give it a try.

I am using a green plastic funnel to guide the powder into the case.

What was happening was some of the H414 powder was sticking to the inside of the case neck. It appeared to be as much as 0.2 of a grain of powder, so I used a small plastic stick and shoved it down into the case.

What a pain:-(=

How can this be avoided?

BTW the cases were certainly dry, no lube etc.

Could be static or something????

Thank you.

If the powder is sticking to the funnel I wipe the funnel with a dryer sheet and problem solved. The only time I've had it stick to case neck was when I forgot to Q-tip the neck after FL sizing.

I don't use H414, but I won a pound of it at a rifle match so I decided to give it a try.

I am using a green plastic funnel to guide the powder into the case.

What was happening was some of the H414 powder was sticking to the inside of the case neck. It appeared to be as much as 0.2 of a grain of powder, so I used a small plastic stick and shoved it down into the case.

What a pain:-(=

How can this be avoided?

BTW the cases were certainly dry, no lube etc.

Could be static or something????

Thank you.

Does not matter, when you seat the bullet all the powder will be inside the case and consumed when the primer is discharged...............Don

static from plastic powder funnel,powder container and possible case lube in case neck. The dryer sheet works for the plastic funnel or use a brass black powder funnel. Case necks need to be free of lube also

no lube ,then then your getting static buildup from the funnel (powder flowing thru it) creating the static

static cling

Put some Dawn dish soap on a paper towel and wipe the inside of the funnel throughly and do not rinse out, let dry ,static cling is gone :) RANDY

Roger & Rewinder

Sound like you both believe the static is being build up in the funnel and it just so happens the powder sticks in the neck.

Next time I'll try treating the funnel.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back