Gunsmithing Lathe

Ranger, I believe that it comes with a set of gears that you have to change to do metric. Without changing the leadscrew how can you do both and disengage the half nut? It is too long through the headstock to chamber in the headstock. Other than that, it is a good lathe.
Butch

That looks like a nice lathe, what is the shortest barrel you could get through the headstock? I'm also interested in above questions especially the cost and where it came from.

Info just received from Importer:

I Where is it made? It is made in Brazil

How much does it weigh? Approx. 2315 lbs

Is it 110/220 single phase or 220 3 phase? 230 V single phase

How far out are they or in stock? They are not in stock and delivery
can be up to 210 days depending on receipt of the order. They are only
built twice a year

How much $$ is the basic machine?

T 14 X 20"
$15,250.
T 14 X 40"
$16,000.
T 14 X 60"
$16,750.

More Info

Butch,

This machine has so many dials and adjustments that the ONLY change gears I will need are for the VAIS brake install. It has to be changed for a 32 TPI and it is quick and simple. ALready have done it. Because the machine has so much adjustment in the headstock itself, it doesn't require change gears for the headstock. In addition, say a 16 TPI thread you can engage on any number on the thread dial, where as say a 1.5 metric thread you engage on the same number. As for the length of the headstock, it is ok on a 24" barrel and I use a special chuck that a friend of mine made for me keeping it short enough. Of course there are a few more tricks that I use to get it done and it works out fine. Bottom line is this is a real machine. You should see it cut threads, way impressive. As for the place it is made, Brazil is correct and they only make 400 units distributed world wide each year. They are made in March each, or should I say delivered in March each year. You will need to find one in stock to get it. Also, the shipping wieght is 2035, atleast that is what mine came in at. That is on a solid oak pallet and supposedly the actual sitting weight is right around 2000 Lbs. It runs three phase and I am unaware if they do provide it in single phase. It runs a 5 horse weg motor which is also made in Brazil. There are a bunch of accessories for it, and of course they cost a bunch. Bottom line is it is a real machine and I could not be more pleased at this point. I have managed to get about a dozen rifles off of it so far and I am very impressed with the quality of finish that it provides.

Back