Gunsmith Search (NC)

Remfarmer

I am looking for a gunsmith in central North Carolina that can rebarrel, glass and pillar bed actions and knows something about precision shooting or varmint hunting. A fellow at a local gunshop told me of a Tim Carrick. Anyone have any experiences with him or others in my area good or bad?

Nat can do your work. Believe he is in Raleigh.

Another would be Leonard Baity, who lives in North Wilksboro. Leonard also manufactures actions, so he has that license (it costs a bunch). From his website, it may look like Leonard does only rimfire. He's a IBS 1,000 yard Long-Range Marksman shooter, though. Silver level. This is a lifetime achievement, only nine people rank higher than Leonard.

http://baityscustom.com/

Joel Pendergraft (Durham) can do the work, but he prefers you buy all the components, as he does not have a manufacturing license (FFL gunsmith only). From Joel's website, it looks like he specializes in Tactical -- but he's past a 1,000 yard World Record holder (still has the IBS Record), and also a Silver-level Long-Range Marksman shooter.

http://www.pendergraftgunworks.com/

There are others, too. People I know are mainly benchrest 'smiths -- which is not to say better, just background.

One part of BR Central posting guidelines is we don't trash anyone. So, no "bad" experiences will be given.

Tooley in Gastonia too far?
Bill, every time I asked Dave if he was interested in building a rifle for somebody, oh, for about the past two-three years now, he's given the reply he just gave.

In the unlikely event Dave ever finishes all the contracts he's committed to, all he's gotta do is let us know he's back in the BR gunsmithing business...to get "too busy" again.

I've never understood people that are looking for a next door neighbor to do rifle work for them. I could be wrong, but it seems that most,not all, would be looking over their shoulders. If it is something I will not do for myself, the USPS is cheaper than gas. Just ship it to a good guy.

Issac Mckaskill at Cassat gun works. Former USMC NM armorer and is double distinguished. WHile he mostly does M14 and Hardball 1911's, he showed me his Palma/Prone gun he built at Perry this year.

The only thing for me, Butch, is it would be such a luxury to have one close enough that I could drive to drop off and pick up without all the shipping hassle.

The only thing for me, Butch, is it would be such a luxury to have one close enough that I could drive to drop off and pick up without all the shipping hassle.

Shipping is sure not a hassle. It also is cheaper than driving 30 or 40 miles round trip and I think your gunsmith would agree. You take it to his shop and you've taken a minimum of 30minutes of his time and the same picking it up. If you have a trust problem send it to somebody else.

Nat Lambeth,wake forest. Ray Bowman,mebane. leonard Baity, North Wilksboro. As a gunsmith myself these are the best.

Chuck Furniss. Guptons Gun Shop,Henderson,N.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nat Lambeth,wake forest. Ray Bowman,mebane. leonard Baity, winston salem. As a gunsmith myself these are the best.

Chuck Furniss. Guptons Gun Shop,Henderson,N.C.

[Slightly off topic]

Damn, Chuck, I could swear we've met. Maybe at Sir Raleigh? Though I pretty much only shoot benchrest. Didn't realize you were a 'smith, either.

Anyway, Leonard Baity is in North Wilksboro, not Winston-Salem.

Far as that goes, come shoot 1,000 yard BR with us some day. Butner's just down the road a bit from Henderson... If you want to borrow a 1K rifle, I'll lend you one if you give me a couple weeks notice to load for it. Schedule is on the IBS webpage, or

http://www.northcarolina1000.com/index.html

Gunsmiths in Central NC

I am not taking any new work until March 2013. Like most I have lots of work backed out the door.

There are several other very good gunsmiths in North Carolina.

Blair Clowis, Greensboro/Archdale area

Dan Glover, Rolesville, NC

Mark Hunt, Walburg/Winston Salem, NC

Bruce at Country Gun Works, Roxboro, NC

Ray Bowman, Mebane, NC

Charlie Joins, Sparta, NC

out side NC

Mike Bryant, Wheeler TX

Kevin Wyatt, White City OR,

Bobby or Whally Hart, Penn.

I would let any of these men work on my guns if I need work.

Nat Lambeth

Back