Gunsmith recommendations

B

brendab

Hi Fellas!
I'm new to the site and the forum. My husband is an avid shooter and I want to surprise him with a new rifle using information I've obtained from his friend. His friend recommended I use Clarence Hammonds of Red Lion, PA. for the gunsmithing, etc. Is that a good recommendation?
Thank you,
brendab

Depends

What discipline do you want your husband to shoot? His friend has a good Idea, because he knows what your husband likes.

Brenda,

I recommend Jim Borden. He is also in PA. Jim is very easy to speak with. give him a call, tell him what you're thinking and ask him what he thinks.

570-965-2505
http://www.bordenrifles.com/

I like your idea of gifts - Your husband will love it.

Adrian

Two very fine choices Brenda.

WORLD CLASS both of them. The old man's gonna' be freaked by either choice, :) Good Stuff.......this is like buying him a Maserati or a Formula One racecar. Either man can build a rifle which will compete anywhere on earth. IMO Jim offers a more comprehensive lineup if your choice includes hunting type rifles and such. His friend is giving you good advice.

al

Clarence Hammonds

Thank you fellows, you've all been very helpful.
brendab

Thank you

Two very fine choices Brenda.

WORLD CLASS both of them. The old man's gonna' be freaked by either choice, :) Good Stuff.......this is like buying him a Maserati or a Formula One racecar. Either man can build a rifle which will compete anywhere on earth. IMO Jim offers a more comprehensive lineup if your choice includes hunting type rifles and such. His friend is giving you good advice.

al

al,
Thank you very much. Yes, I've heard of Jim Borden and his reputation. Clarence Hammonds is much closer, twenty minutes, and I like the idea of being able to bring my husband in to ensure he gets what he wants. If there are any changes or repeat visits, it's much closer and convenient.
brendab

brendab,
A good gunsmith is like a good tailor; they will deliver a product that will meet your expectations and fit precisely.

I cannot overstate the importance of having a face to face meeting with the gunsmith of choice to get a feel for the person, identify exactly what you want, ask his recommendations, and agree upon a project. If Clarence is closer to you, I would personally use his services. Jim Borden is also excellent, however, his shop is probably quite a drive if you are only twenty minutes from Clarence. Pennsylvania has some damned good gunsmiths to chooose from. One thing I've found over the years is that all of these fine smiths work to the same set of world class standards; you won't be disappointed in either one.
Chino69

Back