gun writers

Doug Casner

My friend is gonna get a mod. 700 220 swift. He had this article he got off the internet. Shot about 5 different bullets ranging from 40s to 60s. Went from .250 to .75 group size. I thought dam if this rifle will shoot a 250 thats close to benchrest accuracy. Read on thats at 50 yds. Looking at a Sig pistol.This writer shot a in. group with it. I figgered at 20 yds. It was 30 feet. They gonna put a target a foot from the barrel next? Ya better watch those writers. Doug

Not All!

Most of the writers for the better magazines are pretty honest in their tests and don't try to fool readers.

Most of the articles in RIFLE and HANDLOADER I find to be good, but occasionally one appears that is little more than advertising for a particular rifle.

There are "writers" who show pictures of groups they've fired that are obviously way larger than indicated. Or they fire 3 shot groups with live varmint rifles and carry on about how wonderfully accurate such and such a rifle is. I can maybe see three shot groups with game hunting rifles, but for a live varmint rifle that might be used to shoot prairie dogs a three shot group is barely a warmup.

The problem is that there are people who don't know or understand who read this "stuff" and soil themselves in ecstasy not understanding that they're having smoke blown up their tailpipes. I've gotten to where I don't read many "shooting" magazines because most of them are just ads maybe unpaid or not.

writers

It kinda gets ya after a while. I thought that swift is a shootin machine. It does have the action bedded and the barrel free floated but 50 yds. Thats where I shoot my rimfire. Doug

Well Doug, the Swift is a shooting machine. My little rechambered Ruger #3 carbine(!) will shoot 3/4 -7/8 10 shot groups all day at 100 yards, while giving 3,580 fps out of its little 20" barrel. But then I never asked a gun writer if'n it'd work, and the squirrels ain't talking. :D

Writers

I think several years ago that a lot of the scribes gave the Swift bad marks for several reasons and rightly so. I have always admired the Swift and bought a used 112 BVSS-S several years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. I is one of my favorite guns. I finally found a powder/bullet combination that works and it produces .3-.6 inch, 100 yd groups on a regular basis. I have just about washed it but it still shoots good. IMHO every shooter should own at least one 220 Swift.

swift

Yeah, Ive got an old 77v I used to take coyote huntin alot shot prarie dogs with it once in western kansas. Its barrel is probably past its prime but itll still shoot .75 groups at 100 yds. Not 50. It would still shoot at 50 pretty good. Doug

Back