Gun Case's ??

H

Hombre0321

I am in need of a new gun case. I am looking for a cradle type case, another words the rifle sets up in the case and does not lie on its side. I see a few of these in ABS Plastic but all are too short for my long barreled benchrest rifles. Anyone have a source for these types of cases?/

Roland

Yup, try Plano. Plano Airglide Scoped Rifle Case. $34.00 at Walleyworld. Also $34.00 on Amazon.com with FREE shipping.

Brian

Thanks Keith and bn1, I am familiar with this case and it is the right type of case I am looking for. I even tried my rifle in this same exact case today at a shoot I attended. It is just not long enough, my rifle with its 30" tube needs every bit of 51 1/2" and this Plano is 50" inside just a tad to small.

The match director had an Aluminum diamond plate case that holds two rifles and is of this same "Cradle" type of arrangement that I am looking for, but he said he bought it over 10 years ago from Midsouth, but I can't find anything even close. Thanks again guys but I'm still looking. Anyone else got a heads up?

Roland

Cabelas youst to sell the aluminum ones. There nice but pricey. Max

Americase makes very good cases and can make to your specs but they are pricey.

A "head's up" (two options)

Americase makes very good cases and can make to your specs but they are pricey.
+1, after paying replacement cost to a broken stock (at the wrist) on a Dakota 76 Classic carried in a "traditional" lay down plastic case… the cost (repairs vs. case $$) pretty much equalled out. Sorta like insurance, pricey and you hope never to need it… but heavy duty cases are well advised. And they last forever.

The Americase Safari for 2 rifles is $425 but is just 51 inches long… so consider the 57 inch Safari case by Strong at $377. The Strong weighs a bit more than the Americase.

AFAIK, no "stand-up" cases are available for single scoped rifles.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard, Thanks for that link, thats the deal! I will order one of the 57" Safari cases by Strong tomorrow. Cheap insurance for sure considering what we have invested in these rifles. I have a pretty good Aluminum case now, but it is only a few months old and the trim pieces are already falling off of it, I think I paid $149.00 dollars for it. $377.00 is really not much money if the case will keep my rifles safe. Thanks again!!

Thanks to all who responded by the way. Thats the beauty of this board, so much knowledge all you ned to do is ask.....

Roland

As for the Plano not being long enough...I saw a couple guys extend the case by using PVC pipe in the end of the case.

I know I'm in the minority (perhaps a minority of one), but I've owned a representative case of all forms and fashions. Over the years, I gravitated to the lightest, simplest, and cheapest of hard plastic cases. If the sole purpose of the case is to travel to a benchrest match by road - that's all you need. After all, you ain't gonna treat it badly no matter what case you have and some of the available cases wear you down over time.

Richard, Thanks again for that information. I did in fact order one of the Strong Safari case's yesterday, I feel better already and its not even here yet.

Interestingly after I called them and spoke to a very pleasent young lady Diana and placed the order, about an hour later a young man, Tom, called me back. Evendently my wife had called them earlier about there case before I called and placed the order. She informed them that the case would be used for a couple of BenchRest rifles. Tom was concerned with how "Tall" the rifles were in the case, the length was going to work well but his concern was if there case was big enough in the height to accommodate the scope.

I was impressed in a couple of areas with this call back. One Tom knew that a Long Range BenchRest rifle was taller than most rifles. And two he was prepared to lose a sale if his product "Might" not work. I personally find both of these to be unusual to day as it "SEEMS" that most folks are more interested in selling whether it works or not. Third ( I know I said a couple but there were three) Tom was willing to modify the case in any way he could to make it work. Turns out the rifles were a little bit to tall, and Strong was able to change and modify the foam so that they would work.

I would recommend these folks if anyone is looking for a good rifle case.

Admin, Man do I hear you, size especialy as it pretains to weight is very important. I just built me a case to hold my Viper Rest built for me by Bob Pastor. I was uncomfortable with this rest just setting in the seat or on the floor of the truck. This rest is very special to me and Bob put quite a bit of himslf into it, so I want to protect it. Only trouble is the weight. The rest alone weighs like -55 lbs, ad to that the fact that I don't know how to build anything lite so the box itself weighs 30 lbs. Lifting this thing into the truck is a work-out. So I figured ( Always a bad thing) that the rifle case with two 17 lb rifles and the case itself wieghs 31 lbs will be a relief at only 65 lbs as compared to the rest and box.

Man I guess I need to build me a cart, I have to laugh at just the thought of that and what it would weigh................

Roland

Back