Grinding wheel question(wickman wheel)

DSM

Chuck
I picked up an old Delta carbide tool grinder and it has a Wickman wheel on the one side and don't know anything about it. I'm assuming its possibly diamond impregnated and used to grind carbide? It does not look like a diamond wheel though. How would I dress it? Does it need coolant? Grinder is not hooked up so haven't experimented yet.

What kind of wheel?

I have seen and used similar wheels. It is a vitrified bonded wheel. The abrasive may be diamond, CBN, or another type of abrasive. There are specialized dressers consisting of rotating silicon carbide wheels or cluster diamonds. On a bench grinder, it can probably be dressed with a coarse silicon carbide stick. If dressed and true, they cut carbide nicely. Most can be used wet or dry.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. I actually did plug it in and shaped some carbide tipped tool bit and cut right through the carbide. Made a very nice finish on them. The previous owner seemed to coat the wheel down with a huge amount of wd-40 or some other protectant and seems to be saturated into the wheel. My hold up in plugging the grinder in was that the guy had a 110v plug on it, but all the tags on the grinder say 220v, not 110/220. Plain 220. I eventually plugged it into 110 and it fired up. I've been using it on 110 since I don't have any open 220 outlets. I need to run a sub panel in the garage to handle all this 220 stuff I accumulated! I'm sure once on 220, the grinder will work much better!

Back