Great Post by Rhett

D

Doug

:DI started Rimfire Benchrest in 2014 and my first match ever was a PSL. I knew no one and not much about the sport, other than I loved shooting at home. I spent most of 2014 at local matches in Ohio, which I found out has some great shooters. I even won a match in 2014. I started with used everything, gun, rest etc. and it worked out great. "DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BUY USED" there is good stuff out there. As I learned about the sport and got more shooting in I upgraded to new equipment. I was lucky enough to sell what I had for the same amount I Paid for it.

In 2015 I tried to hit as many matches as I could. I shot all the PSL's, the Triple Crown, the Nationals and as many local shoots as my work permitted. I put up some some good targets and placed well in several matches. I also put up some really bad targets as you would expect (dead last in Bristol PSL). The bad targets helped me more than the good targets. I used them to get better and try harder to read the wind.

Here is the point of my story. I here at all matches that we need new shooters and how do we get them to come out. In the world of rimfire benchrest I am just another shooter nothing outstanding (Someday I hope to be). But, I have had the time of my life going and meeting all of the people that I have met. They all will go out of their way to try and help you. I can't even begin to list all of the names of who has helped me. Its too long. When you have some of the greatest shooters ever treat you like one of them and give you advise to help you. It's like drag racing and having John Force come help you get better.
I have competed in a lot of sports in my life and there is nothing like this out there.

I hope that there are shooters out there that have dabbled in shooting a little but just have not taken the next step. I want them to read this and know, take the jump you will not regret it. Its ok to start small and dream big. That's how all of us got started. Set a goal and go try and get it. Compete with yourself not the field. If you do that the shooting will come.

In the words of a great promoter of this sport Slick Willy. "C'MON AND GET YOU SOME".

It is a blast. Rhett W. Matheney

Back