Gps

M

Mickey Law

I have been looking for a GPS and can't find what I want. I want one that you can put in coordinates and/or address. I don't care if it has bluetooth application or not. I thought there was a thread on here a while back but I can't find it. I think the Garmin SPC340 has everything I want but the inputting of coordinates. Thanks for any help. Mickey

Thanks Brad for info on the old thread. Seems like I might be the only one to want coordinates function. I have checked out several on internet. The Garmins mainly, such as SPC340, SPC340C. still don't know difference in the two, and NUVI200W that has a wider screen. Still don't know for sure about coordinates in any of them. I called Circuit City and went to a store also but the help was something to be desired. I don't think they knew any more than I do and didn't seem to want to help very much. I will keep looking though. Thanks, Mickey

Mickey,

The Garmins are hard to beat for the money. I have 2 Garmin Etrex's that work very well. You can't download coordinates into them, but Garmin makes some that you can. I think Garmin still the number 1 selling GPS brand out there. I know most hunters buy the Garmins like I have. They are super accurate. I once marked a spot on my driveway and drove some 40 miles from my house, and turned on the Etrex for grins to see how accurate it would be when I came back home. It was 4 feet off the spot from where I marked it. It usulally is accurate to within 15 to 27 feet.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mickey,

I have a Garmin in my boat and love it. Garmin is a reliable brand. But you might look at the TomTom. ( http://www.tomtom.com/ ). It got a very favorable rating by Consumer Reports and a friend who is into this stuff says they are one of the best.

Happy New Year, Al

Mickey:

You looking for a hand-held or a vehicle GPS..?? Pat has a Garmin 340 in her vehicle and I have a Garmin 330 in my truck and we both love them.. I also have a hand held Garmin eTrex Legend CX that I use for hunting and fishing, and I can input co-ordinates into that one and it takes me there. It can also be used in the vehicle with a DC power cord and a dash mount, but the screen is small..

If I can help, give me a call 941-748-8815

Dave

Mickey,

I just finished buying one and we settled on the TomTom Go 720. It will allow you to input GPS coordinates plus it had a few other features that my wife liked. She liked the FM Modulator so she can play her iPod through it and it will blue tooth with her cell phone to give hands free talking. We have really enjoyed it so far. No more wife navigating with the map and telling me I should have turned at the last exit:mad:

Dan Killough
www.killoughshootingsports.com

Hi Mickey
I have a Garmin Nuvi 200W ( 4in screen) it accepts both street addresses and grid coordinates. Fast , easy to operate, and very accurate. Go to Garmins website for all the technical specs, etc. I bought mine from The GPS Store in NC (online) on a Monday, and it was on the doorstep Wednesday. $250. I'd suggest an AC adapter for keeping the internal
battery up, unless you use it a lot for driving. The price seems to be the bottom line at several outlets.

Let me know

Mickey:
I think I'm looking for the same features. Let me know what you select and how it performs. So many out there, it's confusing.

And for those hunters out there looking for a GPS unit this should help.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/rinoseries

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/76series

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/60series

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/etrexseries

I have 2 of these Etrex's which is Garmin's cheapest GPS unit for hunters, and they work great. They definately are super accurate, and they never lie. :D

cf-lg.jpg

The only negatives I can say about the Etrex is that batteries like all GPS handheld units don't last long enough. And the Etrex has problems picking up the satellites in dense canopy tree cover. So you may have to walk some short distance to get reception again. They have a built in antenna. I don't know if having a antenna on the outside of the unit will help or not. I would only guess that it might. But my guess would be that all the expensive models like for autos and boats wouldn't work as good in dense forest either.

Brad

Brad,

I had looked extensively before I bought my garmin Streetpilot C340 which does NOT support direct Lat and Long entry. I wish it did but frankly there are other ways I have found to skin that cat especially since Dan put his range map up.

I have a buddy that bought the Nuvi 350 and it does support long/lat.

What is frustrating is I have looked at the Garmin site and I can't see specifically where they let you know which oned do and do not support lat/long entry.

Charlie

Charlie,

The best thing to do is to call Garmin on specifics so you know if interested in buying one of their GPS units.

Contact Support

North America
(for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Central time (closed holidays)
Email Product Support
Product Support
Phone
1-800-800-1020 (U.S.)
1-866-429-9296 (Canada) or (913) 397-8200

Thanks for all the help. I have emailed the Webmaster at Garmins. Maybe I can find me one my the opening of shooting season. Mickey

I have been looking for a GPS and can't find what I want. I want one that you can put in coordinates and/or address. I don't care if it has bluetooth application or not. I thought there was a thread on here a while back but I can't find it. I think the Garmin SPC340 has everything I want but the inputting of coordinates. Thanks for any help. Mickey

Hi Mickey,

I didn't see it mentioned, so I will here: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10106

I think you will find what you are looking for with this unit. I've know several people that went with Garmin only to find the software offered to be disappointing. I have been using DeLorme software with an 'old' Garmin GPS 40 for years. You may find the PN-20 and the DeLorme software the best of both.

D R

Back