good ammo INDOORS VS IN THE WIND

seymour fish

Anyone have an opinion as to whether good results indoors/in a tunnel transfer to predictable shooting in the wind? Is it a solid predictor of good wind performance, or a crap-shoot? H. Deneen, D. Keeny, G. Beggs, anybody??? Seymour

I'll chime in here as "anybody". A few years ago 3 of us tested a lot of Eley MSA indoors at our 25 yard range. 3 different rifles would routinely shoot 250-23 to 25 X targets with the stuff. This was mid winter in Upstate NY with the outdoor benches 100 yards from the club house through knee deep snow, so we had no chance to test outdoors. Between the 3 of us, we bought a couple of cases of this lot, with high hopes we'd be kicking butt in the Spring. Boy, were we surprised when all three rifles would not shoot the stuff in the slightest wind! A 5mph wind would push the bullets an inch. We don't buy ammo based on indoor testing anymore!!
Todd Banks

I am lucky in that I have a place to shoot indoors at 50 yards. Also, I am not the best at reading the wind and shooting outside. With that being said, it is my experience that if the ammo will not shoot good inside it will not shoot good outside either.

I do believe that there are some ammo that will shoot better outside than others. I think that is a result of bullet design or shape more than lot to lot variations but let's ask others what they think.

Temperature is a huge factor in testing. What works well in cold weather might not work well in the summer heat.

Concho Bill

Last edited:
I'm with Todd on this one. I also tested ammo indoors and bought a case based on the testing. Took it outside and shot all over the place. Don't think I have any ammo that is more wind sensitive than that lot. It is now relagated to shooting indoors, offhand! This is not the same ammo Todd and his buddies tested, probably not even the same year.

Ken

I'll also chime in here.

Back in the early 90's when we were testing Federal UM-1 ammo, we found shooting in a tunnel, and shooting outdoors can yield very different results.
The original UM-1 ammo was loaded pretty fast. So fast, it sometimes broke the sound barrier going out the muzzle, then slowed below the speed of sound before striking the target at 50 yards. In a tunnel this did not hurt much, but in the wind it made a big difference.

Back