glued action

Liseo

Hello

I have a BAT SB model 1,55" round diameter glued in MCM Edge stock in 6 PPC. Will this set up handle the stronger recoil of 30 BR or even 308 Winchester if I decide change the barrels (make a switch barrel gun)? Or this fixing method is only for low recoiling rifles?

Thanks

Liseo

My personal opinion is that, at a minimum, a ppc is ok glued, a 30BR should be glued and screwd, and a .308 needs a recoil lug. There ya go, that's my opinion and I'm fairly sure others will be along to disagree, and that's ok by me.--Mike Ezell

My personal opinion is that, at a minimum, a ppc is ok glued, a 30BR should be glued and screwd, and a .308 needs a recoil lug. There ya go, that's my opinion and I'm fairly sure others will be along to disagree, and that's ok by me.--Mike Ezell

I do agree with Mike...

But... The 30BR will or should be OK with a glued ONLY action/stock... Bit better if pillered and glued..

Question is I assume that your Bat is a PPC bolt face...? Liseo, if only a PPC bolt face can you get to a lathe...? To turn the BR / .308 rims down to PPC rim diam.... Works great and is done all the time.

The .308 case will probably be too much UUUMPH for the glue in only...
cale

I have used many a 1000 yard Benchrest rifle, chambered for such loudenboomers as the 280 Ackley and 300 Short Magnum (not the WSSM) that were glued in. I installed two action screws but left them loose, to be there only in case of a glue failure. None of them came loose and when it was time to take the action out of the stock they were still just as stubborn as the day I glued them in.

Glue-ins only fail if they're not done properly to begin with.

JMHO - Ray

OK guys, I think that the 30 BR will be the limit for this rifle.

Caroby, my intention is just this, turn down the 30 BR and 6 BR rims for competition in score with the 30 and 600 yards with de 6 BR 1/8 tw.

Thanks

That bat does have a couple recoil lugs built in. One on the bottom nd one in the back. I would think it will be just fine. There again, who am I !!! Lee

That bat does have a couple recoil lugs built in. One on the bottom nd one in the back. I would think it will be just fine. There again, who am I !!! Lee
Bat's bottom recoil lug only comes with an action if you request a recoil lug. In fact it used to be free if you asked for it, but the last action I requested with the recoil lug the lug cost me $50 extra.

Dick

Liseo, I wouldn't worry about it, there's plenty of recoil lug surface at the tang of your Bat to take any recoil a .308 will dish out. But, with it glued in that shouldn't ever even come into play.

What about the other side of this picture? Has anyone done well (competitively) with pillar bedding only using a lug in recent times? Is gluing an absolute necessity or a safety per-caution that protects against poor bedding jobs? I remember Jerry Stiller winning at Denton (last year I think) with his Predator action which had to be screwed because it didn't have a trigger hanger. I "ideally" would like to be able to switch stocks and barrels and go between point-blank and F/Class with the same action. I would likely switch between a 30BR and 6BR like I do now with my Savage. I realize this is not the best of either world, but I am making my first custom rig and can't decide the route to got. I may just make my Savage a dedicate F/Class rig.

Sorry this is probably a dead horse for most of you guys, it died before I got interested in this crazy sport.

Thanks, Tim

My CPS SHV has always been pillar bedded since I built the rifle in '85. I probably have more wood plaques on the wall that have been won with that rifle than my other rifles that are glued in. A properly pillar bedded rifle will shoot just as well as a glue in. One that is just a little off from being a properly bedded rifle will drive you nuts. Properly bedded can easily be checked with a dial indicator between barrel and forend. If the barrel moves more than .002" when you loosen off the front screw closest to the receiver face, the rifle will not shoot to its potential. The closer you can get the barrel/forend movement to zero without binding the action in the stock, the better off you are.

What about the other side of this picture? Has anyone done well (competitively) with pillar bedding only using a lug in recent times?

Well I won the 100yard Varmint for score at the Nationals in Holton MI last year with a Pillar Bedded rifle. And all the Hunter class shooters in the world use them since glue-ins are not allowed.

To me the beautiful part of not gluing in the action is when chambering a barrel I can screw the action onto the barrel and check fit without taking barrel out of lathe.

Dick

Last edited:
"""What about the other side of this picture? Has anyone done well (competitively) with pillar bedding only using a lug in recent times?"""

Tim,

2-Grands this year with my Sporter .. It's pillered & bedded only, Time Precision with a recoil lug...

Good to hear from ya again.... Looking to build a point blank BR gun I hear...

cale

Hi Cale, Congrats on your sporter success. I remember seeing one in a match report. --- The bug is starting to bit me again. I didn't get to shoot a single match in almost 2 years. In fact, I haven't even fired a single round from the bench in two years. Life happens. Hopefully things are starting to stabilize and I can at least make Denton and Luther in 2012 to play with the toys I currently have. I sure am eyeing that Shilen DGV action - but I am afraid you BR boys will laugh my barrel nut off the line. Too many choices.....and too little money to make them with.....

Tim

I had a conversation with one of the top point blank benchrest shooters in the country a while back about gluing VS pillar bedding. His opinion was this. He seems to think that a properly glued gun will shoot or has the potential to shoot very very well for a few years. He then seems to think depending on what type of glue that was used to glue the action in, that the glue can or will begin to get hard and brittle over time, resulting in a rifle that slowly but surly begins to loose it accuracy. makes since really. he claims he has seen this happen to him and other shooters over the last 30 years. He also said if he is going to have one glued it will be screwed as well. Anyone else agree with this? I haven't had this happen to me so i dont have an opinion or experience to share. If i did have an opinion on this subject, i guess i would have to say, i prefer pillar bedding or whatever tom Meredith does, which i think is more of a block bed type of bedding rather than pillars. seems to work real well. Lee

My BAT/Leonard switch barrel rifle was glued in by Terry Leonard about 15 years ago. As far as I know it has never been reworked. It has been used with 6 PPC, 6 XC, 6 Dasher, .22 PPC-S, and 6PPC. It shoots as well today as it ever has. I believe that it would handle the .308 with no problem.

I do agree with Mike...

But... The 30BR will or should be OK with a glued ONLY action/stock... Bit better if pillered and glued..

Question is I assume that your Bat is a PPC bolt face...? Liseo, if only a PPC bolt face can you get to a lathe...? To turn the BR / .308 rims down to PPC rim diam.... Works great and is done all the time.The .308 case will probably be too much UUUMPH for the glue in only...
cale

Caroby,
Is this seriously a common practice (to turn br brass to fit the ppc bolt face? I just bought a 6ppc but want it for dual purpose but will have to turn the bolt face to do it, but this gives new insight if it works without opening up the bolt.
Wayne.

Bozo699

I just turned down 50 6 BR case down to PPC rim diameter and the rifle worked flawlesss. Now the next step is to turn down 50 pieces for 30 BR barrel.

Wayne,

Simply as Liseo said, yes... Can you get access to a lathe...? This diam change does not create bolt thrust issues.
Same is true with PPC cases down to .223 diam head....Now, BR down to .223.. TOO much IMOP... Bolt thrust issues FOR SURE..!

ALL this with Lapua cases..! They are tough and resilient.

Apologies for thread diversion,
cale

Last edited by a moderator:
Back