Glass bedding a Weatherby Accumark

Worker

I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338-378 WBY Mag. What type of bedding compound would be best in this beast ?

I'm hesitant to opine here because a lot of folks have a lot of opinions on this subject..... I'll say this. I've used Devcon(s) and Bisonite and Marine Tex and Araldite and Hilti and Simpson XT West Systems, TAP, HYSOL, JB Weld and several other no-name brands and GALLONS of Brownell's mixes...... I consider ONE SINGLE THING to be important and that thing is...shrinkage, the LACK OF SHRINKAGE.......and IMO over 40yrs of babysitting bedding jobs I will trust;

-Acraglas/Acragel
-Marine Tex
-Araldite
-Bisonite
-Devcon

I will trust JB Weld for the thin glue-in coat.

My criteria is quite simple..... I bed with ZERO relief, my jobs are suctioned together, must be taken apart slowly and with care..... and they must MAINTAIN this suction fit over years.

And of this list, for bulk bedding I've settled on Brownell's products for reasons of my own. Mainly it's because I can make it do ANYTHING I want. I've got tins of stainless steel powder, AL powder, Brass, Bronze and atomized steel..... I have nearly a cubic yard (really, the bag is almost as tall as me) of Aerosil, I have thinners and solvents, degreasers and flocs. I have a crate of colors....I can dye it, match gelcoat swirls and make tinctures you can't tell from the base stock. I recently adapted a Kelbly flattop to a Kodiak and you can't tell where the McMillan Brown stops and the epoxy fill starts.....I can make mixes for everything from recoil surfaces to lightweight stock-fills and infills for bedding recoil pads or instrumentation/recoil devices. I've gone through and will go through literal gallons of the stuff.

I've done 7 Weatherby 338-378's and a dozen other big 338's in the last year or so, 5 were/are Weatherby Accumarks.

I use only polished off wax (I prefer Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish) as release agent and feel strongly that application/ability is far more important than choice of material.

Use whatever you like, in an application like this, skim bedding a fitted stock there is no "best" in my opinion.

Edited to add,

Boyd Allen has some valuable experience/opinions on "how" to bed the Weatherby actions specifically..... info concerning pressure-points and reliefs. He has a friend who's done some extensive work with them. If we can get to add his knowledge (or if this knowledge is even meant for public consumption!) to the mix, pay attention. Boyd's opinions are well founded things, NOT "Ford VS Chevy" arguments.

Last edited:
Back