Generally-Accepted Best .22 LR Ammunition at This Time

South_Pender

Hi guys. I'm not a serious rimfire benchrest shooter, but I am interested in getting the best I can out of a couple of Anschutz M54s. What is the current consensus, circa early 2015, about the very highest-quality of .22 LR match ammo--the stuff you guys lust after?

Mods: If this post is out of order for this subforum, feel free to remove.

Your post is certainly not in the wrong place...but the answer to your question is gonna be a tough one! Buy a few different lots and start testing hoping you can buy some of the best before it sells out.

Hi guys. I'm not a serious rimfire benchrest shooter, but I am interested in getting the best I can out of a couple of Anschutz M54s. What is the current consensus, circa early 2015, about the very highest-quality of .22 LR match ammo--the stuff you guys lust after?

Mods: If this post is out of order for this subforum, feel free to remove.

As Wilbur stated try different lots & see what groups the best.
It all depends on what your chamber & barrel likes I guess.
I have a Lilja tight bore barrel, no idea what the chamber is, that seems to only shoot round nosed bullets.
It hates Eley Match or Tenex for some reason. But those are what the majority are using. Lapua also has its following.
So I would recommend trying Eley & Lapua 1st.
Hope you find something it likes.

Thanks, guys. I had planned on trying several different brands, but wanted to know where to start with the best-shooting brands and lines. I can put my hands on Eley Tenex and RWS R50 and R100, but Lapua seems to be hard to get here in Canada at the moment. Does match-grade Fiocchi show up much at BR matches?

I hink you'll find the overwhelming majority of serious match shooters use ELEY red and black box.

I don't recall Fiocchi ammo being used much in competition - Eley and Lapua mostly. That's not saying that Fiocchi is not a good bet in your rifle. Actually, it's not saying anything at all and you will likely be somewhat happy with any ammo that shoots pretty good until you lose every time.....but I think you said you implied that you weren't weren't going to shoot competitively.

Added.........What Tim said!

Of the two Eley lines--red and black box--which is generally considered the better?

Red COSTS a lot more but many shooters will tell you they've had better luck finding Black box lots that shoot consistently well.

Many shooters have been really let down by Red box. I know I have.

Last edited:
The last few shipments have had very good overall stuff with some exceptional lots mixed in.

Results are very clear

I agree you need to test what works best in your rifle (as they are finicky little buggers) via brands and via lots within the brands but in answer to your question if you look at results in most major rimfire competitions there is 1 clear majority and 1 clear brand that take most of the medals...that would be Eley and Eley say their Tennex is the premium line.

Here is a good starting point for research look at results tabs and equipment lists
http://www.proshootingleague.com/

I know of five Annies in our group ,three 1710s one 1712 and a 1416 that test every ammo on the market and they never cull CENTER X LAPUA....it just a solid performer across the board:cool:

Back