Gene Beggs

Jerry Reisdorff

I threaded the barrel and put your tuner on and locked the rings in the mid point on the threads.

Shot 1 5 shot group and had 1/2 in vertical.

Turned the rings to 9 o’clock position and had 1/2 in dia from 11 to 5.

Turned the rings to 6 o’clock position and had 1/2 in dia in from 2 to 7.

Turned the rings to 3 o’clock position and had 3/8 round hole.

My question is how do I know that I have the rings positioned right to start with? Is there a better starting point?

Thanks Jerry :)

Jerry ...

My question is how do I know that I have the rings positioned right to start with? Is there a better starting point? Thanks Jerry :)

Here is info I have saved from one of Gene's previous threads where he explains how he installs and Zeroes his tuner. Hope this helps. Art

"My standard installation is to measure back from the muzzle 1.750" and turn a .625" length diameter to .875" to .900", thread 28 tpi. The one inch portion in front of the tuner is turned to .850" which perfectly fits a two liter soft drink bottle to catch the spray from the cleaning brush and patches.

As far as the location is concerned, I have not found it to be critical. The farthest aft of the muzzle I have placed a tuner was two inches and it worked fine. One shooter said he threaded only the first .625" of the muzzle and installed the tuner flush with the muzzle. He said this resulted in less vertical dispersion when the rifle was out of tune, but I have not tried it. I encourage experimentation but I assure you, my installation works perfectly and is repeatable from one rifle to the next.

The range from one node to another is one turn, which means you cannot be more than a half turn out of tune regardless of conditions. If the rifle shows horizontal when you get the vertical out, you can rotate the tuner out another revolution and tune in that window and the horizontal will usually disappear.

My standard 'zero' or starting point is to turn the tuner all the way in to the end of the threads and back it out one revolution, setting the reference mark at 12:00 o'clock.

At one time, I was led to believe that only weight added beyond the muzzle affected tune. I was delighted when I discovered the weight could also be placed behind the muzzle; results were the same. The vibration frequency of the barrel is raised and lowered as you move any weight fore and aft. GB"

What kind of group did you get without the tuner on?

I was wonderin if you would have a 1/2 inch group without the tuner on?

Len

Jerry

Which Rifle? Hopefully the one I'm buying that I don't know about yet! :D

I threaded the barrel and put your tuner on and locked the rings in the mid point on the threads.

Shot 1 5 shot group and had 1/2 in vertical.

Turned the rings to 9 o’clock position and had 1/2 in dia from 11 to 5.

Turned the rings to 6 o’clock position and had 1/2 in dia in from 2 to 7.

Turned the rings to 3 o’clock position and had 3/8 round hole.

My question is how do I know that I have the rings positioned right to start with? Is there a better starting point?

Thanks Jerry :)

"3/8 round hole"= .375-.308= .067" group..................how much better are you expecting this gun to shoot?...........................Don

Don,

I know it was amazing that it came in that quick - only 4 five shot groups. I just wanted to make sure that I had done everything right on the setup. I was just guessing on how to put it on.

After putting it on and shooting it with the tuner in more positions - it does act just like Gene's write up. This is great !

Jerry :D

Don,

I know it was amazing that it came in that quick - only 4 five shot groups. I just wanted to make sure that I had done everything right on the setup. I was just guessing on how to put it on.

After putting it on and shooting it with the tuner in more positions - it does act just like Gene's write up. This is great !

Jerry :D

Hi Jerry

Sorry about the delay in answering your questions. My wife and I have been out of town visiting the grandkids.

You received some good feedback from others and I don't have much to add. Sounds like your rifle is shooting terrific. It is a well known fact that the 30's stay in tune better than the 22's and 6's so you may not have to move your tuner much to keep the rifle in tune.

One good thing about behind-the-muzzle tuners is that installation is not critical. You can place the collars anywhere from flush with the muzzle to as much as two inches aft and they work exactly the same. Regardless of where you start, you will never be more than a half turn in either direction out of tune.

Let's say to begin with you lock the collars with the reference mark at 12:00 o'clock and the rifle shows a full amount of verticle on the sighter. This indicates that the bullets are exiting right out in the middle of the barrel's swing, halfway between a positive peak stop and a negative. You can get the rifle in tune by rotating the tuner a half turn in either direction. One way will tune the rifle to a positive peak, the other to a negative. It's the simplest thing in the world. Wish I had known all this stuff twenty years ago.

Some say it is better to tune the rifle to a positive peak rather than negative, but I cannot see any difference in group size.

Good shootin' !

Gene Beggs

Hi Jerry

Sorry about the delay in answering your questions. My wife and I have been out of town visiting the grandkids.

You received some good feedback from others and I don't have much to add. Sounds like your rifle is shooting terrific. It is a well known fact that the 30's stay in tune better than the 22's and 6's so you may not have to move your tuner much to keep the rifle in tune.

One good thing about behind-the-muzzle tuners is that installation is not critical. You can place the collars anywhere from flush with the muzzle to as much as two inches aft and they work exactly the same. Regardless of where you start, you will never be more than a half turn in either direction out of tune.

Let's say to begin with you lock the collars with the reference mark at 12:00 o'clock and the rifle shows a full amount of verticle on the sighter. This indicates that the bullets are exiting right out in the middle of the barrel's swing, halfway between a positive peak stop and a negative. You can get the rifle in tune by rotating the tuner a half turn in either direction. One way will tune the rifle to a positive peak, the other to a negative. It's the simplest thing in the world. Wish I had known all this stuff twenty years ago.

Some say it is better to tune the rifle to a positive peak rather than negative, but I cannot see any difference in group size.

Good shootin' !

Gene Beggs

Gene,

Just for my own clarification. Using your example above, when you say half turn, the reference point would be at 6:00, right?

Adrian

Back