Front Rest question

R

realm-aw

Any suggestions on front rests? Is there a weight limit? The idea of shelling out $700 has me looking for cost-effective alternatives!

While the cost of a first quality front rest seems steep it is probably worth it. Think of it this way: if you pay $700+ for a Farley you can always get most, if not all, of your money back should you decide to sell it.

I have never used a Farley and I understand they are the premire rest on the market. I have a Sinclair which serves me well at a less than half the cost. Bald Eagle makes a pretty nice rest as well. There are others out there that are decent rest in the $300 range too. These are just a couple suggestions.

It depends...

On whether you want to shoot score benchrest or group type matches..Also if you are an occasional match shooter..or a regular ....The "Joy Stick" type front rest is much quicker and easier to move around the target page from the sighter to any one of the 5 record bulls...
I comprimised and bought one of Butch Lamberts Joy Stick (Shade Tree Engineering) tops for my Hart base and I really like it...it costs about half the price of a Farley or SEB, if you have your own base..
As M Coleman stated.. if you buy one of the $700 front rest you can get most if not all your money back if you decide to sell it...:)

As said earlier, the trend in match shooting today is using the front rest adjustment speed in getting the rifle from the sighter shots, back to the group shots, while shooting in the the same condition as fast as possible. ...

This is what is making the big coax like the Farley so popular in my opinion. I got a Shadetree Precision coax rest and Butch modified it to fit my old Witchy Taw rest. I know it will not saddle up against a $850.00 Farley in performance 100%, but it is a very well machined unit and at less than half the cost of a big Farley, will work fine for my shooting skill level and budget. good luck on your purchase....

A great accessory for one starting out on budget that would like to put more of their money in a rifle first, then move up to a Farley when the money is more available. jmo

Attachments

• DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 674
Last edited by a moderator:
Base issue

Thanks to all. A joystick top will be an OK investment. But it seems like an interesting "project" to build my own base. That is why I asked about weight limits. Any photos of home-brewed bases would be great.

You might take a look at ...

the Cowan Front Rest. Here is Joe Cowan's email address and phone number: jcowan1@aasdcat.com, 814-946-8450 X1235. A couple of us at the Austin Rifle Club have Joe's rest and find it to be extremely stable and a great value; $210.00 includes shipping. Joe's also a nice person to deal with. The picture in this attachment shows the rest in Red. It's actually gold, silver, and black and does not include the Sinclair speed screw shown. The rest has sold worldwide, with all proceeds going back to the students who use the money for local worthy causes.

Attachments

• Cowan Front Rest.jpg
    Cowan Front Rest.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 814
Back