front rest or bipod ?

rebs

Does it make any difference when shooting 22 lr bench rest if you use a front rest or a bipod ?

If you want a bipod look at a target bipod like a Rempel bipod. I've got one on my 6mmbr Savage 12br and shot a .5 moa 5 shot group at 1000 yards my first time shooting 1000 with just Hornady Amax bullets. He will make nice adapters to fit your rifle, he made me one that fit an Anschutz rail and another that fit a keylock rail.

I am going to have to say unless you spend some crazy money on say a SEB Joy-Pod (650.00), your best bet is buying a nice rest.

There is a group down in SW VA that competes with them & do very well. In the Top 5 at the Nationals well sometimes. Maybe George can explain their bipods as I'm not sure if they are custom or not. Bipods aren't a disadvantage for them.

Keith

Invest in a rest

If you want to be serious about shooting ARA or IR50 I will suggest using a rest. My friends and I shoot off bi-pods, basically because we shoot 25-30 local non sanctioned matches a year, that require the use of bi-pods and we go to only a few sanctioned matches during the winter, all of which are indoors.

Bi-pods do work well, as long as conditions are favorable, ie shooting at indoor matches. Outdoors you will need to pay close attention to your wind flags. Personally I cannot look through a scope and manage my wind flags at the same time, I am sure some can however. At our local matches there are no wind flags, other than a couple of ribbons hanging from the rafters of a drafty barn, that are usually going in different directions. They really play no part in the wind hold off in these matches.

Bipods

If you want to be serious about shooting ARA or IR50 I will suggest using a rest. My friends and I shoot off bi-pods, basically because we shoot 25-30 local non sanctioned matches a year, that require the use of bi-pods and we go to only a few sanctioned matches during the winter, all of which are indoors.

Bi-pods do work well, as long as conditions are favorable, ie shooting at indoor matches. Outdoors you will need to pay close attention to your wind flags. Personally I cannot look through a scope and manage my wind flags at the same time, I am sure some can however. At our local matches there are no wind flags, other than a couple of ribbons hanging from the rafters of a drafty barn, that are usually going in different directions. They really play no part in the wind hold off in these matches.

So what bipods would you suggest to use? Thank You

Well, I made mine but there are several options. If I was buying one it would be a F-Class type, expensive, but whats not.

I know that some of you won't like what I'm going to say...
But, bipods and shooting in extreme cold weather, is a waste of time and money as far as benchrest accuracy is concerned.

I know that some of you won't like what I'm going to say...
But, bipods and shooting in extreme cold weather, is a waste of time and money as far as benchrest accuracy is concerned.

I agree with you PedroS. Shooting off a bipod is a whole different disipline than shooting off a one piece rest. A bipod you try to load the same forward pressure every time. One piece rest I let the bungee cords do the loading. Wayne

Back