Front rest ear tension

Savage Mark

Hi Guys !

Just how tight should the ears grip the forend ? I have a savage F class rifle with 3” forend . No matter what I still get a little movement of crosshairs on target. If I crank down the tension will it elimate this movement ?

Thx

Mark

Mark,

Since no one has replied, I will give some thoughts but no definitive answer : )

One of BR's most successful shooters (Wayne Campbell) told me to run it tight. Not locked up, not binding, but firm.
That said, I have had more success running the front ears more loose. I'm assuming you are able to wobble the rifle and move the crosshairs. I would not get to hung up on the this, but focus on does the rifle do the same thing every time it fires. Is the break away consistent? Actually you should feel no "break away" but the tension or friction should be the same every time.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark,

Since no one has replied, I will give some thoughts but no definitive answer : )

One of BR's most successful shooters (Wayne Campbell) told me to run it tight. Not locked up, not binding, but firm.
That said, I have had more success running the front ears more loose. I'm assuming you are able to wobble the rifle and move the crosshairs. I would not get to hung up on the this, but focus on does the rifle do the same thing every time it fires. Is the break away consistent? Actually you should feel no "break away" but the tension or friction should be the same every time.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for response ! Do u shoot free recoil or pinned to front stop ?

Hi Guys !

Just how tight should the ears grip the forend ? I have a savage F class rifle with 3” forend . No matter what I still get a little movement of crosshairs on target. If I crank down the tension will it elimate this movement ?

Thx

Mark

What are you using for a rest? Also, is the top left to swivel, or locked down?
What steps are you taking in the initial setup? This is important.

Keith

What are you using for a rest? Also, is the top left to swivel, or locked down?
What steps are you taking in the initial setup? This is important.

Keith

Bald eagle cast iron slingshot rest . Everything is locked down tight . Put rest on bench and eye ball that it’s pointed at Target . Slam rear bag down . Put butt of rifle in rear bag making sure it’s centered. Push rifle back and forth while watching crosshairs .

I shoot F-class with a Seb NEO/Seb bigfoot rear bag....3 piece front bag. I put the tension adjustment as tight as it will go and not cause the gun to 'stick' when pulled gently fore and aft in the bags. This is not very tight. As long as you don't have 'daylight' between the ear/stock and the front base bag is settled, any movement of the crosshair off the aim point when you pull the gun back then forward against the stop is likely due to rear bag alignment. If it is occurring while shooting then it is either rear bag alignment or shooter alignment.

I'll say that the accuracy of the rifle is not dependent on the rest or bags in any way. What is important is the time it takes to get the next shot off.

Back