freebore in a 284win

J

jawbreaker

I have been drinking the cool-aid and decided to build a 284 for f-class. I plan to shoot the 180 bergers, vlds and hybrids and am curious as to the proper freebore
to get enough case capacity. I am figuring on about 55g of H4831sc. How much shank is needed in the case neck?
Thanks,
Tom

284 Freebore

I have been drinking the cool-aid and decided to build a 284 for f-class. I plan to shoot the 180 bergers, vlds and hybrids and am curious as to the proper freebore
to get enough case capacity. I am figuring on about 55g of H4831sc. How much shank is needed in the case neck?
Thanks,
Tom

I hightly recommend that you not seat the bullet bearing surface behind the neck shoulder juncture. The 180s are real long bullets and will not shoot well if you are trying to do a repeater in a short action. If memory serves me correctly I am throating .212-.220" freebore in the .284 for the 180 bergers.
Nat Lambeth

I have had a reamer ground with a .220" freebore and it works well with most of the 180's (don't know about the JLK's). It also is OK with Berger 168's. I wouldn't go any less than .220" if your set on the 180's.
Matt P

Back