Forster bushing bump neck sizing die

338lm

I got the idea in my head to use a Forster bushing bump neck sizing die so that I can just bump the shoulder back and avoid resizing the complete case. When I went to seat my bullets with my Sinclair bullet seater die the cases would not enter all the way into the die due to the case being too big. Looks like the cases are making contact down near the base of the die. Anybody else ever try to go this route and ran into the same problem? Should I can this idea, or can I still make this idea work out for me? Caliber is 6.5x47. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I got the idea in my head to use a Forster bushing bump neck sizing die so that I can just bump the shoulder back and avoid resizing the complete case. When I went to seat my bullets with my Sinclair bullet seater die the cases would not enter all the way into the die due to the case being too big. Looks like the cases are making contact down near the base of the die. Anybody else ever try to go this route and ran into the same problem? Should I can this idea, or can I still make this idea work out for me? Caliber is 6.5x47. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Per a comment from someone on this site, I ordered a Redding 6 PPC small base type S full length sizing die in order to eliminate any interference at the base of the case. When I look back, I've had more issues with that than with headspace. Die should be here next Wednesday

Last edited:
When you jump in the shower, do you just wash from the neck up? When you wash your car, do you just wash the hood? When you polish your shoes, do you just polish the toes?

Can the idea. Full Length size each and every time you reload. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
FL size every case every time with good dies. Neck sizing dies should rust away on the shelves- thats how useless they are

Why do you say that?

Some may disagree, but if you're using a die matched to your chamber, case life actually improves with FL. So many of these cartridges, like the PPC, run big pressure. After a few firings, it's not uncommon for tough extraction to emerge (bolt click). Full-length size them once and soon the hard lift returns. Eventually your shells reach a stage where they can't be reliably sized. Call it brass memory if you'd like. In reality they've become brittle and won't deform plastically like they once did.

Brass and applied force:

Brass_Elasticity-627x425.jpg

Back in the late 1980's we built our first 6 BR. As was the trend at that time, we neck sized and shoulder bumped only. When the brass gave us fits, we'd squeeze the base; yet for all intents and purposes, beyond that point they had lost their edge. 10 years ago we finally cut a die that sizes the shoulder/body junction just under a thou and the base approximately 0.001". No more extraction problems at peak and the brass lasted longer.

Of course, there are folks here that are way more knowledgeable than I on the subject. Hopefully they'll chime in.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Actually, your experience, with the specifics that you included, is an example of the highest level of explanation, and it was very well written.

Caliber is 6.5x47. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

A. Forget the idea you are working on.

B. Contact Harrels, they do not advertise that they do any dies but PPC and BR but I got a great 30x47 die from them. If they can do 30x47 I am sure they can do 6.5.

When you shave, do you shave your whole body? When you pee, do you take your hat off? When you comb your hair, do you comb your chest hair? (Sorry, abintx, all in good fun. ;))

Size only when sizing is needed. If the case still fits in the chamber, the only thing sizing can do is make it worse. When you get a few clicks in a box of cases, size them all to keep them consistent. For hot PPC loads, this may mean that you have to size every time. For lower pressure rounds, it can be several firings, or up to never.

Back