Forming Die

L

LASER

Could someone instruct me on how to get a form die? I think the one I saw was a Skip Otto design. I am not at all familiar with Mr. Otto or his products. Or any others for that matter. The one I seek is for the .308 Win case.
I called Butch Lambert a while back and he's no longer making one. I sorta think he chuckled and muttered something about saving me some misery?
Thank You
Tim Thompson
Hanover PA

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

If you would like to discuss your issue send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call. I'm from White Haven, Pa.

Shinny

I have one of Butch Lambert's forming sets, he is right, it is a lot of work. However, I do like it and it works very well. So far all I've used it to form is 20 Vartarg from .222 and .223.
You did not mention if you were trying to form .308 from something else or into something else?
Redding makes some form dies.

Tim,

If you would like to discuss your issue send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call. I'm from White Haven, Pa.

Shinny

Shinny,
PM sent. sorry I took so long.
TMT
I checked my sent folder and the sent message is not there. I sent you another pm. Hope it works.
TMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some information -- Skip Otto passed away a number of years ago. I have two of his form die sets, one for .404 size cases, one for .308 size cases.

The are a bit of work to use. If you are only going to form one or two cases from one or two other cases, a special, specific form die is probably a better option.

As an example: When I got the set for the .404, RWS still had a fair number of 404 cases in their inventory. We made everything from .338s (full length) to a quite short 6.5. In that context, the Otto dies are very useful. Unfortunately, the RWS inventory is depleted, and they aren't making new .404 cases. There are a number of newer cases on the .404 body, and Norma now makes .404 cases, but that old RWS quality is hard to match.

FWIW, and that's not much.

Laser -

Howdy !

Perhaps I am misreading your post ?

If you want to form .308 Win, you could expand the necks of say .243 Win brass, or exapnd 7mm-08 brass; or neck-down .358Win to .308.

Redding lists a variety of case forming dies, pretty much for some of the more popular cases ( that can be made via case forming process ). I'd have to look, but perhaps Redding offers a .308 forming die ?
I have one of their's for forming 7 X 64 Brennekke; and it's a well-made, quality; and highly usefull product.

With regards,
357Mag

Laser, if you get an answer please post results :)

To ANYONE reading this...... if there is someone out there making form dies, good form dies, please share information???

thanks

al

Again I am guilty of not supplying enough info. The die I saw enables one to move the neck of a .308 case down to any size you would want. It has a bunch of progressively smaller bushings.I think this is what Butch's die does with the .06 case.

LASER

Back