Fixed Power scopes...

T

treeman

I have a fixed 36x scope I picked up somewhere. It's certainly a lower end one (BSA Platinum), so it's probably way worse in the area I'm about to ask...
I can't hold a steady picture through the scope, even breathing seems to turn it black. So, are the higher end, high fixed power, scopes way better in this area? Is it fairly easy to hold the sight picture, without going black at the tiniest movement? I ask, because I have thought about getting a fixed power scope, but hate to get something I can't see through :)
I do not shoot competition, just target in the yard. Thought I'd mention that to explain why I'm not looking to spend BIG money. Would a 24X scope be fairly easy to get the sight picture? Maybe 18x? I'm really green when it comes to fixed power scopes, so any info will be very appreciated. I was looking at Weaver 24x, but thought sight picture may still be a problem. I guess it comes down to asking, "What fixed power would be the maximum for easy sight picture acquisition?"

Should have mentioned, it's for .22LR, 50 to 100 yards...

Are you shooting this from a rest? What you describe is primarily from moving your head around on the stock.

Yes, from a rest, but it is still very hard to get, and hold, the sight picture. That's why I'm trying to figure out if it's because of cheap scope, or the high power. I'm hoping that they are not all this finicky, and, if they are, what power would be a bit more forgiving...

No, they are not all that finicky. Do you have the proper eye relief? If you creep up on them too much they can be very critical with head placement.

Parallax setting or luck of, will do that specially at close distances

High power

Yes, from a rest, but it is still very hard to get, and hold, the sight picture. That's why I'm trying to figure out if it's because of cheap scope, or the high power. I'm hoping that they are not all this finicky, and, if they are, what power would be a bit more forgiving...

Scopes have a small exit pupil....the little spot where the light comes to focus behind the eyepiece. My guess is you are bobbing around and loosing it..by that I mean it is not entering your pupil all the time. Try to find others with weaver or Leupold scopes of similar power and try them. In cheap scopes there often is a field stop behind the objective to sharpe otherwise poor optics. That may be producing a very small exit pupil.

Unload that bsa less than adequate the ocular is very restricted in those , get a Weaver or a Sightron, either can be had off the classifieds for under 350 most of the time ( I do not know current new price) other than that it it takes a good bit of practice to be able to use High mag scopes, fairly easy on a bench, offhand is another matter.

Back