First beatdown of the year. I'm still stoked though.

Saigashooter

Our first shoot of the year was yesterday. It was an aspirin shoot in the windiest conditions I've shot so far, going into my second year of club competition. I tied for last place but I couldn't have been happier.

Here is why I'm stoked about my hind teat finish. I finally got to shoot my 17 twist suhl for the first time. I've been messing customizing the stock for most of the winter when I could get out to dad's for a few hours. Last Saturday my girlfriend looked at me like I was crazy when i told her that i had to get my rifle out of bed. Dad showed me the proper way to bed a rifle this winter. And it turned out beautiful. And I understand why Smiths charge a pretty penny for bedding jobs now. And I scrounged up some rings and slapped the 36x leupold on it.

Hell I got off topic of the shoot. So its finally warm in east central Illinois unless its raining. So the old farts decided to have an aspirin shoot at 2pm. I played hooky from work and took the suhl out for a test run. I talked a little crap to them about all being retired and having the shoot at two so I couldn't whoop em, they had a good chuckle before handing me my arse.

I also found a used front rest this winter that was an upgrade over the Rock BR, at least I hoped it was because this was its test run as well. I got set up and everything felt pretty damn good, except the wind. Being that it was my first time shooting this setup that was built for target class out there (No tuners) and all these old boys are shooting their open guns with one piece rests, I didnt stand a chance, but I loved every second of it except those 7-8 seconds that I realized I missed before I moved on to the next.

I also got to test out the wind flags that me and dad built this winter. They did very good except the fiberglass Walmart pole is kinda flimsy in high winds. Its going to get a cpvc stiffener before the next shoot.

Also our ammo was quite inferior to what everyone else was shooting. The old boys were all shooting 15-20 a box eley pretty well across the board. Me and dad decided not to waste any R50 considering the wind and new equipment so we just shot some rws rifle target that I got 12 bricks of for about $3 a box.

So that's my story of the first shoot of my second season. And here are some things I've taken away from it. First I have to learn how to read the damn wind. Actually that should have been #2 after remembering to follow the 6P's. I needed some time behind the old girl to know what she likes before just throwing any ammo down the tube while its sitting in a new rest. I need practice and ammo sorting b/c I cant justify that kind of $ on ammo right now at 36. I have these things called children that take away from the gun funds. I'd probably get beaten if she knew what all I keep at dad's house. So that was #3, be retired so you have the time and money to beatdown the younger folks because it just makes me and a small majority of my disappointing generation to try harder and have something to look forward to.

Actually all of that other stuff comes second to the most important reason for Myself to shoot. And that is getting to spent time with the most important old fart to me. My Dad.

Also the person I tied with was my Pops who was shooting the same setup as me. He didn't want to break out the walther and I could tell his trigger finger was twitching. I thought he had me which would have been devastating to my ego but it couldn't have been better than tying him.

Last edited:
Pick those windy days to practice! It's the best way to learn. Hold center and shoot just to see how far the wind will move your shots. Pay attention to those flags, one contrary to the rest may make a world of difference in POI. Velocity makes a big difference, let ups can cost you as many points as gusts. Your 1/17 twist will probably shoot better as the temperature rises thru the summer.

Good luck, you got to watch those old retired guys!

Ken Henderson

Marshall, Illinois?

Yep. I'm guessing my match description was pretty accurate. And I'm assuming that you are one of the younger gentlemen that layed a whooping on me. It's all good though because it is just making me want to get out to dads and do some practicing. Also I might have figured out the trigger on that old custom Remington 37 and might have to break it back out if that Canjar will go into the low ounces instead of pounds. I cant wait to see you guys again next Thursday. At least then I'll be shooting in my own class instead of with you guys. I also should have a protektor loaf rear bag that I may have you fellas help me get filled correctly.

I am one of the old guys! I shoot a customized Suhl at 50 yards and an Anschutz 64SBR in the 25 yard magazine class. Unfortunately I won't make this Thursday's match as I'll be out of town.

Back