Firing Pin Spring

Frank B

I have been searching for an hour and can't find what I need. I have Remington action that has fired over 3K rounds. I am sure it is time for a new firing pin spring. What should I buy and from who. Thanks for all the great info over the last four years. Later! Frank

Frank, Why do you think your spring has sprung? If you are getting satisfactory ignition then I would suggest leaving the spring in there. Changing springs can be a bit tricky and you will probably end up with firmer bolt lift and maybe more movement of your rifle between release and ignition. I have changed some and even used the special springs from Holland and Greg Tannell. Mostly now have gone back to the factory springs after getting a sore palm from lifting the bolt on a heavy spring.

Don

Just to see what was available, I "Googled" the spring, and after looking around became curious about whether one could just buy one from Remington. One reason being that I wanted to be sure that the spring would only be stock weight, nothing extra. As it turns out, Remington is not as slick as some about getting their info set up so that it comes up on an internet search, so I went to their site, and had to do as search there to come up with the parts page, where I was able to come up with this.
http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com...umber_1,generic_number_2&searchRank=salesrank
This is the factory part for a short action. Note the price as compared with aftermarket suppliers. It seems that the factory is quite a bit cheaper.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Having said that, sometime back, I had an old 40X that I had rebarreled that did not shoot as good as it should have. After eliminating about all the variables I could think of I happen to notice that there appeared to be a slight variation in the way the primers were being struck. I never did have a misfire. Replaced the spring and all was well! You can get a spring from Brownell (Wolf or Rem.) For what it's worth XP-Mod.7 springs are not available. I've had to use regular short springs and shorten them up.

Back