Firing a .308 bullet in a .284 barrel

D

DenverDave

I recall reading an article in a gun magazine some years ago, in which the author claimed he accidentally shot a .308 bullet in a .284 barrel. I believe that was the two calibers involved; in any event he shot a bullet that was larger in diameter than the barrel. I don't think it was a .284 in a .277, which is a little easier to comprehend. I'm certain the difference was .02" or more. Thing was, there was no damage other than to the case. Is this feasible?

Does anyone out there remember reading this, or a similar story? I don't know if it's true but I do remember reading it, and I can't imagine the author making it up. When I brought this up in a bull session my buddies looked at me like I'd been hitting the sauce. OK, I had been hitting the sauce but I remember reading this story.

Yes, I remember some kind of deal I read but like you I don't remember exactly. I would say that if the case chambered without driving the bolt closed with a hammer it's very possible...but a horrible MISTAKE nonetheless.

Some have fired the wrong cartridge with less luck:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/223_6mmBR_disaster.htm

I stuck the first case fired in a brand new 6PPC using powder that "looked" like the right stuff. Actually, I cleared the rifle and did it again before I realized what was wrong. You can't help stupid!! Although everybody lived, I learned that every shot fired involves everyone in the near vicinity....which is scary if you think about it much.

I recall reading an article in a gun magazine some years ago, in which the author claimed he accidentally shot a .308 bullet in a .284 barrel. I believe that was the two calibers involved; in any event he shot a bullet that was larger in diameter than the barrel. I don't think it was a .284 in a .277, which is a little easier to comprehend. I'm certain the difference was .02" or more. Thing was, there was no damage other than to the case. Is this feasible?

Does anyone out there remember reading this, or a similar story? I don't know if it's true but I do remember reading it, and I can't imagine the author making it up. When I brought this up in a bull session my buddies looked at me like I'd been hitting the sauce. OK, I had been hitting the sauce but I remember reading this story.

I shared a similar story here a while back. Had a fellow call me to claim he had successfully fired a .308 round in model 700 .270 and could not open the bolt! I had to remove the barrel as the bolt nose had fully expanded in the barrel counterbore to create a gas seal. This is why the bolt would not open. I believe this is what M. Walker and the boys at Remington had in mind when they designed this action. I hate to think what would have happened had it been any other action! After taking a light cut on the bolt nose O.D. and a new extractor we were good to go. In this instance the case was NOT o.k.! The barrel appeared to be o.k.

A lot of years ago, American Rifleman had an article about firing .45 ACP in a 1903 Springfield.
ACP was much lower pressure than a rifle round of course. The ACP case sealed the rear of the
chamber and I believe was reusable, the bullet swaged down to a very long .30 cal. bullet.

They used the 1903 because they could hook the extractor groove of the ACP on the claw
extractor and make the firing pin reach the primer.

I thought of duplicating the experiment, but I'm old and cowardly.

The bolt nose on a rem. 700 measures around .690 and the barrel counterbore is usually .705. Don't know how much pressure this translates to but I'm guessing it's a lot.

.308 in 2506

I knew a guy, hes dead now, that was sighting in his 2506 before deer season. His buddy was sighting in his .308. He wasn't paying attention grabbed the wrong box of ammo, stuck a .308 in the .2506. Blew his .2506 all to hell. It wasn't like the guy was a beginner either. He had shot for years. I wouldn't have thought a .308 would go in and lock down in a .2506 but it did. I don't know the rifles involved but its one of those old stories that never die around shooters and hunters around home. Ole so and so blew his 2506 all ta hell put a .308 in it. Its true though.

Thanks for the responses. Pays to be careful!

Two guys I know and sometimes shoot with were at the range one day shooting their Thompson rifles. The break down guns with a hammer. Can't remember what they are called but..
One had a .270 the other a 308.... They did the old let me shoot that gun bit and the 270 was loaded with a 308 round ... AND FIRED. Brass was stretched almost to look like a 270 brass but not 100%...the 308 brass did have to be hammered out from the other end.!
The 270 barrel was sent back to Thompson who inspected. They said all was fine with the 270 barrel and it is still in use today... I still would not try it or advise anyone else to try it.

Grimmey

Wrong cartridge

A local gunshop owner (here in Whiteville NC) would zero hunting rifles for a fee.. On day he had three rifles to zero.. He put up targets,, went back in shop,, brought out the three rifles. He put the 1st rifle on the bags,,, Marlin 35 Remington.. he gotter zero after about 10 shots. He removed from the bags ,, set up Remington 700, 30-06 Sprg... He proceded to take another 35 Rem cartridge from the box,,laid it in the 06,, shut the bolt,,, ( he said to be somewhat tite on closing.. He fired the round..It kicked very hard,, then he realized what he had done. By just looking , there was no aparent damage. His brother and co-owner had finished gunsmithing course somewhere in NC.. He checked the rifle closely ,,, could not see any damage.
The owner of the 06 said it shot fine,, during that deer season. Don't know if there any issues about that rifle later.

Oooooh weeee!

A local gunshop owner (here in Whiteville NC) would zero hunting rifles for a fee.. On day he had three rifles to zero.. He put up targets,, went back in shop,, brought out the three rifles. He put the 1st rifle on the bags,,, Marlin 35 Remington.. he gotter zero after about 10 shots. He removed from the bags ,, set up Remington 700, 30-06 Sprg... He proceded to take another 35 Rem cartridge from the box,,laid it in the 06,, shut the bolt,,, ( he said to be somewhat tite on closing.. He fired the round..It kicked very hard,, then he realized what he had done. By just looking , there was no aparent damage. His brother and co-owner had finished gunsmithing course somewhere in NC.. He checked the rifle closely ,,, could not see any damage.
The owner of the 06 said it shot fine,, during that deer season. Don't know if there any issues about that rifle later.

After posting this,, I spoke to the guy's brother again.. He says he fired the 35 Rem in .270 rifle

8mm in 30-06

After posting this,, I spoke to the guy's brother again.. He says he fired the 35 Rem in .270 rifle

I remember Ackley writing about shooting an 8mm bullet in 30-06. i guess he opened the neck. I got the impression he was surprised at how well it worked and said the bullet must be swaged down before maximum pressure was reached.

Here's one for you . A fellow I know used to get together with friends and zero thier rifles before deer season . It usually consisted of heavy drinking while shooting , which led me to shy away this particular year . One of his inlaws asked to shoot his Savage 110 in 223 . He told me he said "sure" not paying attention to the shooter , the fellow goes over snatches a box of shells from his trunk and sets down and loads her , fires and says it didn't hit the paper . The owner says B.S. The gun is a shooter and zeroed , so he looks. Sure enough no hole . He goes to open the bolt and it won't open , he beats on it with the palm of his hand and it won't open . Then he notices a box of M1 Carbine ammunition setting on the table and asks , you didn't put that in here did you ? The guy says yes and they had their differences . So he calls me in a couple days and tells me the story . As a favor , big favor , I took his rifle to a local smith and explained what happened and that it was not my firearm or my deed . He ended up removing the barrel , found not one piece of projectile in barrel or chamber , case was in two pieces and examined the chamber and bore , put it back together and said as far as he could tell it was still ok to shoot . I took it back to the fellow and told him , showed him the fragments of the case and said I myself would not fire it . A few weeks later he told me did fire it and it functioned and shot fine .
Kenneth

A few years ago a Benchrest shooter kept asking me for one of my used 224 cal barrels, I never had one that I was willing to let go of.
He got a barrel somewhere and got someone to fit it to his BR rifle and chamber it with a 6PPC reamer.....best way to fire form 6PPC cases I'm told.
He had that barrel screwed onto his rifle and was fire forming some brass before a match. Somehow he had a loaded 6PPC round in his pocket, he chambered it, and pulled the trigger.

Needless to say he didn't shoot that match and was lucky he didn't injure himself, he wasn't wearing safety glasses but luckily he wears contact lenses or it may have been more serious.......still doesn't wear safety glasses.

A new action glued into the stock and he was all set to go again. I think the barrel was OK though.....Ian

Back