Fireball & Deuce Brass ?

kchw7gsv

Kurt@MT
After about 4- 5 reloadings, the cases start to hang up in the shell holder. Tried 3 different shell holders- same with each. Rifles are 40x’s with Sako extractors. Is this problem simply the result of the small thickness of the 223 family of case rims? I usually chuck the cartridge in a drill press and use a file and emery cloth. Good for another few reloadings. Use only Lapua brass. The rest of the case shows no problems. Loads are not excessive. It is easy to see where the brass is distorted- it must be the extractor? Do any of you guys who used to shoot the Deuce in competition remember having this type of situation?

Kurt

Last edited:
Kurt, a good place to start......................

is on the bolt itself. Have you removed the bolt, and reinserted the case in the boltface, and oriented it to the proper position it was in when it was first fired?? Have you ever experienced an inordinate amount of resistance when extracting the cases?? The reason I ask that, is because I wonder also, do you ever get a definite "click" when you unlock the bolt, but it doesn't want to open, the first try??

I have never had the problem you describe, and I've shot the Deuce family completely, from one end to the other, w/700s, XP-100s, Anschutz and SAKOs.
Check That bolt and get back to us on that.....

You really should move this over to the General Discussion forum where it belongs, and more people may respond, okay??

Last edited:
I've shot a lot of .223 and some .222 with loads that tend towards very warm, and aside from foreign (Wolf Gold) cases I picked up at the range to use in an AR I've never had the problems you describe, even after primer pockets had opened up and neck splits started after many firings.

As Brian suggested it might be the extractor in your rifle causing the problem because Lapua brass has the reputation of being harder than an ex-wife's heart.

Also General Discussion might be a better forum to ask on.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't ever tried to orient the fired cases in the bolt and check the situation. Both of my .222 rifles are HV bench guns, put together by top gunsmiths. Both rifles are minimun spec chambers. I am sure some of my loads have been maximum, but other than the chewed-up rims, the rest of the case seems pretty good. No loose primer pockets. The cases are still good when I decide to make up new brass. I am not aware of any bolt "click" problem. I will make-up some new brass and pay closer attention. Knowing that my problem isn't the norm will help.

Kurt....... by the way- how do I move my post to another forum??

I've shot a lot of .223 and some .222 with loads that tend towards very warm, and aside from foreign (Wolf Gold) cases I picked up at the range to use in an AR I've never had the problems you describe, even after primer pockets had opened up and neck splits started after many firings.

As Brian suggested it might be the extractor in your rifle causing the problem because Lapua brass has the reputation of being harder than an ex-wife's heart.

Also General Discussion might be a better forum to ask on.

Larry,
I don't think my problem lies with the extractors, as I have the same problem with either 40x. I found some new brass I made up last spring. The brass has been fired 4 times each. Each rim already has the same sharp marks. They still fit in the shell holder fine. Tomorrow I will check and see what powder and load I was using. Golly- maybe I have been shooting too hot of loads for years???

Kurt

Well, I didn't realize that a person my age could squeeze a hand-held priming tool too hard. A Sinclair or K & M type- yes, but a RCBS or Lee? Anyway- I learned something. I was exerting too much pressure when seating the primer and the shell holder made a gouge on each side of the rim.

Kurt

sounds like it might be too warm of a load in to large of a chamber.....and brass is moving....

mike in co

Mike, I can take a virgin Lapua case out of the box, put the case in the hand-held primer, seat the primer and there are two distinct sharp marks on the "inside" edge of the rim. If I seat the primer very carefully, there aren't any marks.

Kurt

I shoot a 222 HV (Rem.700) in IBS score on occasion. I did use Lapua brass and experienced shell holder/ Wilson -seater/ bolt click problems. The problem may be that min. SAAMI chamber....they seem problematic when using off the shelf sizers.What sizing die are you using?
Also, I believe many smith's frown upon a Sako extractor used on the 700's .373 BF....not sure of the reasoning behind this.
Also, the .222 Lapua brass was outsourced a couple years back, and was not anywhere near Lapua standards , this is what I had when the problems surfaced.

I am using the newer Lapua "match" 222 Rem brass. I am using Redding competition FL bushing dies. I will do some more checking?? I just checked an older batch of Lapua .223 brass and it is definitely harder than my 222 brass. I do think I have a batch of softer brass.

Thanks for helping me out.

Kurt

Last edited:
Yeah, Kurt, just tone it down, give it a.........................

rest, cut back on the powerbars, and talk nice to the significant other. Just too much testosterone, I'll send ya th' bill in the morning for this diagnosis....;)

Glad you found it so soon, it can be unnerving.:D

Back