Firearms related picture... guess?

D

Dennis Sorensen

This is firearms related...

...any guesses...?

...story to follow later...
elbow.jpg

X-ray

Appears to be an x-ray with what I will guess is fragments of a solid substance.

Fragments...

....of some sorts??

Like the bullet exploded or something the bullet hit next to the victim??

Looks like it hurt!!

pf
<><

Actually Roger

it looks like the Femur. Maybe this person in the photo didn't get his/her gun out of the holster before a round went off.

Yes this is a fairly new X-Ray of an old wound...

Stupid things happen at college...

Back in 1966 while attending Trinidad State Junior College in Colorado (gunsmithing course) 2 of us were accidentally shot by the same pistol another person was using...

Luckily the .22 LR Remington hollow point missed bone, major vessels, muscle mass, ligaments... it went right through just above my elbow and bounced off a rib... the lead expanded beautifully but left a lot of fragments in me. I had full use of my arm within 2 days.. I just had dressings to let seep for a while. It was a large hole on the inside of my arm.

More later... :)

I got the same thing in my hip, except it hurt a lot. 222 Remington from about 200 yards. It hit about where my red Levi tag is on my right hip after hitting the comb of the cheek piece on my rifle. I have 17 grains of lead still in there.

No, I will not show you the scar.

Concho Bill

I got the same thing in my hip, except it hurt a lot. 222 Remington from about 200 yards. It hit about where my red Levi tag is on my right hip after hitting the comb of the cheek piece on my rifle. I have 17 grains of lead still in there.

No, I will not show you the scar.

Concho Bill

Bill,

If you looked like a prarie dog, I could see how this could happen. But I don't imagine you do...so please tell.

Justin

The conclusion to my story …

Five of us were hunting rabbits at night… a hardtop car… one person at each window and the fifth person sat in the middle of the back seat with a spot light. His job was to simply shine the light to whatever side we spotted a rabbit… then either the front or rear person at the window would shoot it… simple enough and we had done it several times…

It was my car but another fellow was driving it… I sat in the front seat at the window. I had a .22 rifle; the driver had a .218 Bee. Each of the rear seat windows had a .22 rifle. No one loaded their rifle until they were ready to shoot…

However this night was different… a difference I was not aware of until it happened…

We had a new fifth person along to hold the light. Unknown to me he brought along a High Standard pistol that he borrowed from a friend who had been working on the trigger… (This is a bunch of gunsmithing students).

I was about to take a shot on a rabbit. I was twisted in the seat with my right arm sort of up on the back of the seat, using the window ledge as a rest… when there was a big flash, a loud bang and my arm fell to my side. I realized I had been shot. Blood was pouring out of my jacket sleeve. My shoulder and arm and my right side felt numb. I was able to open the action of my rifle. I said I have been shot. There was dead silence in the car. I thought somehow I had been shot in the shoulder by the .218 Bee from the driver shooting through the car… it didn’t make sense but with my shoulder instantly numb, that what I was thinking.

I repeated again, “I’ve been shot”, and about that time there is another shot fired and a guy at the back left window yells, “I’ve been shot too.” Immediately this was followed by the fellow with the spotlight yelling, “Watch out, there is something wrong with the gun.”

Right away everyone got out of the car and the fellow with the pistol fired it into the ditch until it was empty… I got my jacket off and blood was flowing out of my arm pretty good. I reached up with my left hand and with my thumb in my armpit shut the flow off…

The fellow, who was shot in the back seat, was shot in his right butt cheek. We quickly made sure the guns were unloaded and headed for the hospital. We were quite far out in the boonies. On the way to the hospital I got a bit woozy and had another fellow pinch the blood flow off in my arm. In a few minutes I felt better and was able to do it myself.

The spot light guy explained what happened on the way in… the pistols trigger had been worked on and was not reliable… he did not know this at the time… He was holding the spotlight in one hand and the pistol in the other, thinking maybe he could get a shot at the rabbit.. When the gun went off it was pointing at my arm and the bullet went downwards through my arm and glanced off a rib, went between my legs and into the floor of the car. It was recovered when we first arrived at the hospital.

When the gun went off and I yelled “I have been shot”, the fellow with the hand gun laid it on the rear seat facing the person at the left rear window. While the gun was on the seat it fired again…

At the hospital I was feeling quite okay, walking down the hall to emergency with my shoe full of blood making a slop, slop, slop sound…

The other fellow had hardly bled at all, just a spot of blood showing on his pants.

This was a Catholic Hospital and full of nuns… It was late, about midnight, and I was tended to very quickly. While I was being looked at the other “shootee” said, “I have been shot too.” A nurse (nun) looked at him and said, “Where?” He turned and showed the spot on his pants and the next words were, “Drop your pants and get up on this table.” When he was up on the table they pulled his underwear down and there was a huge red welt going across his right cheek and a smaller welt going out his left cheek ending with a dark bulge just short of the skin. It appeared like the bullet went in and out the right cheek and into the left cheek. The nurse (nun) then tried spreading the cheeks with the comment as she was looking, “There should be another hole around here.” Well the wasn’t another bullet hole as the bullet had angled in the right cheek and hit his tailbone and bounced angling out his left cheek short of exiting.

I required only antibiotics and he required surgery in the morning… The police showed up about 1 am. Whether they believed what was told it seemed to please them. They realized it was not a gunfight… just gunsmithing students testing a firearm out in the country and it fired twice when the slide slammed shut… it happened to hit me and the fellow standing beside me… This was Saturday night… Monday morning the three of us were at the Deans offices at the college explaining the same story to him before he heard anything from anyone else… None of us wanted to be expelled from college… which was easy to do.

We were very lucky considering it all. I was later told that handgun had been pointed all over me as I sat in the front seat and he was behind me… it could have been in the head or neck just as easily. I can really relate to the worry Dad had about “other” shooters when I was growing up.

Ok

And class now the lesson for today is WHAT???????? . 1 .Treat every Firearm as if it were loaded 2 Always point the muzzle in a safe direcction 3 . Never point at anything you do not intend shoot ETC. ETC. ETC........Bet that was a life changing experiance

Last edited:
And I thought my time at Trinidad was filled with accidental discharges and accidents. While many bullets were flying around, no one got shot. We had broken jaw, car accident coma, broken ribs, 3 fingers sliced off in a jointer, a race riot and I broke both my arms. This all happened my first semester.

Excellent story to tell to young guys to emphasize safety and following those pesky laws about shooting firearms. I appreciate that you didn't try to minimize the young guy mistakes that were made. I made all my young guy mistakes racing Chevy hot rods until I got a similar wake up call! :eek:

Glad you are around today to argue with me Buddy!

"Every grown man is a walking miracle."

My grandmother said that. She had 3 boys and my mother and you couldn't put anything past her. All her kids tried. We called her "Old Scout".:)

First rule in my shops was to clear every gun brought in for repair, it was the counter mans job to inspect every gun as it came in the door, over 30 years and no accidental discharges. but plenty of guns with chambered rounds mostly stuck in chamber, but a few where the customer didn't know it was loaded when it was handed over.
Accidents happen very fast.

An incident I witnessed.......

I was in a local gun shop searching the used guns rack for bargin 700's.There was a guy standing next to me looking at shot guns.We were about four feet apart. He picked up a model 500 and was checking it out.Thankfully he desided to try the pump action and a live round flew out and hit the floor:eek:. All these guns were trade ins so the gun was traded in LOADED or maybe someone came in with plans to rob the place,loaded the gun and then backed out.? What ever the reason, it scared the hell out of me and him. The store owner almost fainted when we told him what happened!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Back