Federal 922A

D

DSS

Hello, all.

Anyone have experience with 922A? I've heard it's somewhat of a revival of an old-school olympic quality cartridge that was previously dis-continued. I've shot a lot of 711B and 719, but haven't had my hands on 922A yet (don't feel like ordering a case of it until I've used it!). Thanks.

Drew

I have used it and it's not bad. A little fast for me at 1080 but at the price I'll shoot Eley Black box. I called federal and they said it was the same as the old UM-1.

Jeff

I have used it and it's not bad. A little fast for me at 1080 but at the price I'll shoot Eley Black box. I called federal and they said it was the same as the old UM-1.

Jeff

Federal is full of crapola. It's repackaged RWS. It does have a Federal headstamp, but RWS manufactures it.

Federal is full of crapola. It's repackaged RWS. It does have a Federal headstamp, but RWS manufactures it.

Ahhh... Another case of the 'ol swapped packaging. May I ask from where you sourced your information? (just curious...)

They may have meant it "acts" like the old UM-1 but there wasn't much explaination and they certainly didn't say who made it.

They may have meant it "acts" like the old UM-1 but there wasn't much explaination and they certainly didn't say who made it.

What part of this statement do you not understand?

"They are built in conjunction with renowned rimfire manufacturer RWS."

Maybe it's the 'conjunction' that has you confused. As in (Fed. to RWS) what rimfire ammo will you make us a deal on? Sounds good we'll send you our 'head-stamp' dies to use. And so we have 'conjunction'! :)

D R

What part of this statement do you not understand?

"They are built in conjunction with renowned rimfire manufacturer RWS."

Maybe it's the 'conjunction' that has you confused. As in (Fed. to RWS) what rimfire ammo will you make us a deal on? Sounds good we'll send you our 'head-stamp' dies to use. And so we have 'conjunction'! :)

D R

What part of the statement don’t “you” understand....he was referencing the phone call and not the previous posts.

Maybe it’s “you” that needs to work harder at comprehending what’s written!:)

i have tried some 922a, in hopes it might shoot as good as the old 900a,
it doesn't. a friend had tried the um22 and the 922 and said the 922 shot
better in his guns than the um22, so i bought a brick of it at a little over
a 100 a brick, it shoots similar to wolf me, which with about 3-5 flyers
a box, is not match ammo, for that price i expected more. the um22 runs
14-16 a box. i'll stick with eley eps black box, too bad. it sounds like lapua's
getting better we'll see. maybe the um22 or 922 will shoot in your gun,
never know unless you try.

Last edited by a moderator:
... it shoots similar to wolf me, which with about 3-5 flyers
a box, is not match ammo, for that price i expected more. the um22 runs
14-16 a box. i'll stick with eley eps black box, too bad. it sounds like lapua's
getting better we'll see. maybe the um22 or 922 will shoot in your gun,
never know unless you try.

Good to know. Inconsistencies are inconsistencies, however. I have thought that the rate of 3-5 fliers per box is about what I get from Wolf MT, so I guess it must be pretty consistent. I don't own a chronograph, so I haven't sent a brick through one to really read velocity deviation, but you can usually hear them.

I guess I may or may not even try the new Federal stuff. It's just sooo tempting to, though!

I have tried both of the new federal loads in my Suhl and the 922 was inconsistent 711b shot better, the UM22 was better, but for the money I will go with Midas+ AND Center-X. $.02

I have tried both of the new federal loads in my Suhl and the 922 was inconsistent 711b shot better, the UM22 was better, but for the money I will go with Midas+ AND Center-X. $.02

I must admit, I've shot indoor matches with 711B and fared rather well... You just get frustrated when you have 2 fliers per target that drop you from a 249 to third place!

Federal Ammo

I attended the RBA Nationals at the Barn In NC and shot the Federal UM22 and the 922a.I scored a 250 19x with the UM22 in the 10 1/2 lbs class and I
shot a 250 11x on the wall in the Unlimited class. Shot this ammo both days of the match perform quite well. I was saving my good Eley for the PSL. My gun is a Suhl with a Broughton barrel smitted by Wayne Smith..........

I attended the RBA Nationals at the Barn In NC and shot the Federal UM22 and the 922a.I scored a 250 19x with the UM22 in the 10 1/2 lbs class and I
shot a 250 11x on the wall in the Unlimited class. Shot this ammo both days of the match perform quite well. I was saving my good Eley for the PSL. My gun is a Suhl with a Broughton barrel smitted by Wayne Smith..........

Walt what is the twist rate on your barrel?

Got 200 rounds of it but haven't shot the stuff yet with 5 Feet of snow around here, But even if it is terrific stuff - how much longer will Federal import it? With federal's profit on top of RWS's profit - how much of a bargain can it be? Made by the lowest bidder! It may be "similar" to UM22 and Gold Medal Match but it does not have the dimpled case bottom of the old stuff.

Walt,
Was the impact point and velocity close to the same using UM22 and 922A with your rifle?
I shoot quite a bit of 922A and was wondering if the tune would be in the ballpark using UM22.
Thanks
Jim

Back