Factory ammo for savage 12BVSS in .223

T

tommyo

Can anyone recommend some good factory ammo for my new toy? I'm thinking Black Hills or Ultramax reloads. Any suggestions? If I get serious I'll get back into reloading and maybe even rebarrel to 6MM

Tommyo,

I also have the same rifle you own. I tried factory ammo. I tried various
brands and some were better than others. But if you want the best accuracy,
it will only happen with tailored handloads. I found my best precision with
turning the necks and deburring the flash holes,trimming to uniform length and
chamfering the necks in and out ( 22 degrees ). I didnt do the other brass
work that could be done. My load; Fedral 205M primers, 25 GR WW748 and
Horn. 53GR Match bullets. BL C2 will work good too. I use fireformed brass
and LEE Collet dies for the necks with .002 pull. I have had many 200 meter
groups of less than one inch, some up to 12 shots.
As far as rebarreling, Savage is building a 6BR You might want to
think about.

Tbear

Last edited by a moderator:
The best and also coincidentally least expensive factory 223I found was the Winchester USA (white box) 43 grain. It shoots under 1/2" out of my Cooper 223 and it comes close to matching my best handloads. The best part of it is that when you are done shooting you still have the once fired Winchester brass. I haven't bought any for a couple of years now but at that time you could get it a Wal-Mart for around $15.00 for 40 rounds, I am sure it is more expensive now but I'll bet it is still cheaper than most anything comparable.

New Savage

The new Savage, to be available soon, will be chambered in 6BR: check the 2008 Savage product catalog.:)

Black hill's 69gr SMK. Great ammo, and though it seems like it's more, when you compare price to 20 rounds of federal, remington, etc, it is actually less expensive.
Winchester white box does shoot really well for some people. It depends on what you'll be shooting at.
Check out savageshooters.com if you need any more info. Great group of guys.
Mike

I have the exact rifle you do fitted with a simmons 6x18 scope and it consistently shoots in the .600's with factory hornady 40 gr v max ammunition at 100 yards. I tested out to 400 yards shooting off my bipod and sandbag under the stock and it shot 2.81" at 400 yards. Not benchrest material but for just throwing in a factory load and shooting I am very pleased.

I have the same rifle. Ditto for the winchester white box. It shoots good. Handloads shoot better, but not much. I load mine with 55g bullets. Mine is a 1x9 twist and 69g. bullets is about the heaviest. I load mine long as the barrel has a lot of freebore.

To find the best ammo for you gun, you simply have to find the best ammo for YOUR gun. Because it shoots in one gun doesn't mean it will in the next one.

cannalures are a NO-NO for accuracy

Stay away from loaded ammo with a cannilure on the bullet (the serrated circular marks on the bullet to allow for the case to be crimped into it). This is NOT condusive to accuracy.

As a general rule, it is very hard to beat Black Hills ammo and I would look at their 52-69 grain ammo as you barrel should ahve a 1:9 twist IIRC.

George

Can anyone recommend some good factory ammo for my new toy? I'm thinking Black Hills or Ultramax reloads. Any suggestions? If I get serious I'll get back into reloading and maybe even rebarrel to 6MM

I have the same gun. It really likes the white box Varmint stuff from Winchester.

Although I'm not shooting groups as tight as most of you and by no means from a competition grade rifle, the Ultramax 55gr FMJ is the most accurate ammo I've tried in my Olympic Arms K8 Target Match with about a 6 or 7 pound trigger. Haven't actually measured any groups but I can keep most shots inside the 1/2 round stickers I use for targets.

Rob

Back