Equipping my new Daniel Defense M4 Carbine for optimized accuracy

B

bbowles

Here is what my goal is as a newbie to ar 15's. To get most of the accuracy potential from my rifle even though I understand it is not a benchrest gun. I have shot rifles in past and reloaded for them. Just got back in. Bought a Daniel Defense v5 (not lightweight version) in 223/5.56. Has m4 12" rail. Chrome Moly 16" with flash hider. Mid length gas. 1:7 twist. Magpul MOE buttstock millspec receiver. Vortex viper PST SFP 6-24x50. Have looked into lots to get all of accuracy I could get from this. Again I just enjoy taking certain things and getting more from them than should be able to. I plan to get a true varmint style 223 ar capable of 1/4 to 1/2 moa in future but want to equip this for accuracy too and prob move some of this equip to other gun in future like vortex scope and maybe prs buttstock. My question is what equip should I put on this knowing one day I will move take this back to a tactical mainly gun with aim point T1 etc on it? PRS or UBR buttstock or other since hard to get moe to sit on rear bag? There is a product from EGW called AR Bag Rider which is 3" wide flat mounted to front picacatinny and to rear A2 stock on the underneath stud (would have to make some kind of change to the rear to work. Doubt will ever really benchrest compete with either gun but want to varmint hunt with both. What all recommendations can u give me knowing that this project is not the one most would do. Thanks for all your thoughts and recommendations.

It is always good to see someone interested in squeaking the most accuracy they can out of a gun. Unfortunately, talking to this crowd about optimizing an AR-15 is like going to a NASCAR race and trying to get the crew chiefs to help you make a 62 Corvair competitive... on top of that, you're asking to make sure that you can convert it back to street so you can drive it home.

Practically every gun is designed around some mission compromises and the AR-15's military heritage means that it is foremost designed around the compromises of a battlefield. Every doodad, upgrade, and accuracy enhancement that you customize that rifle with takes it farther from it original, intended design. I know that lots of ARs are finding their way into the varmint and even hunting fields, but to be effective they must lose some of their AR-ness.

I speak from experience... a few years ago I drank the koolaid and bought a nice 24", bull barrel, RRA Varminter AR, topped it with a 6x25 Leupold... it would shoot 1/2 MOA all day from regular bags -- no BR tricks necessary. I sold it. I didn't need a 15# rifle that was horribly barrel heavy, uncomfortable to shoot, unwieldy in the field to carry, and completely useless as the defense gun it grew from. I replaced it with a used, cheap, stock Rem 700 .223 that just happens to also shoot 1/2 MOA -- good enough for the coyotes I go out with, and spent the difference on more bullets and powder for my full-on BR rigs.

My advice... enjoy the process of tricking out your AR if you want for defense or entertainment purpose (killing zombies or making noise or whatever), but spend your accuracy dollars on a platform that doesn't have to compromise its intended purpose. For the same money, there are plenty of old sleeved Remington BR guns around that would make exploring the world of accuracy fun, and wouldn't be embarrassing at a regular match.

Rod

nice reply Rod. i was a little worried this this fellas well being when i first read the post. LOL!! Good on you man!!! Lee

Keep the AR a varmint rifle, spend the difference on a used benchrest rifle. It will be a gift that keeps on giving.

ar accuracy

I built these for many years for HP competition...

1st- make sure you have a free floating handguard assembly, nothing mounted to the bbl except the gas block. Flash hider is OK.

2nd- gas tube must be aligned properly not binding with the gas key on the bolt carrier.

3rd- custom bbl. with a better chamber, Krieger, Lilja, etc, pick your favorite make

There rest is to help you shoot better doesnt make accuracy better-- good trigger, better sights, etc.
Load ammo with the best bullets for your twist rate. Don't expect 55 gr or 62 gr military style ammo to shoot well.
This is the basics. A good AR will shoot sub-1/2 moa ten shot groups. But it takes work to get there like anything else.

Back