Entry level rifle

latisimusd

New to the rimfire benchrest world and have a basic equipment question on entry level rifle/scope setup.
Would an Anschutz 1813P with Sightron scope be a good starter or should I trade it & use $ for better more updated version?View attachment 16369

Attachments

• A1813P 1.jpg
    A1813P 1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 399
Anything that shoots well is a good place to start. From the photo, it doesn't look as if your rifle will accept a barrel tuner aka muzzle device (which everyone uses). If you really want to compete in this sport though, I would get a purpose built benchrest rifle. You should buy either a used rifle that is a known good performer (and you should shoot it and test it if at all possible) or save for a new build by a gunsmith with a good track record of building winners. It's easier to learn this game if you start with good equipment and good ammo. With those two things in place you can then concentrate on learning to dope the wind, which is the crux of this game.

Like Bill said you can start with what you have now, and before you upgrade you must decide what equipment you really need.
I would suggest looking at the ARA or IR50 websites to see if there are any matches near you.
Go to a few matches and talk with the shooters. See what equipment they are using. Most all will all be helpful and free with advice. Some may offer to let you shoot their rifle.
Shoot a few matches with what you have. You have to start some ware.

Anshutz

Hi.
So far the advice given is good.
It is possible to get your Anschutz to shoot well enough and get medals at the smaller comps .
You can fit a tuner also ,you may need to have it opened up a few thou but they do work .
If you get the right ammo,and find it shoots well then I would suggest fitting a proper benchrest stock.
You should then have a very good starter level rifle [or better]
The time will come for you to upgrade[about 5 years ] in my own case, and there will be a shooter out there looking for a
good starter bench rifle which you will have to sell .Just move up as you progress, there's no rush,the enjoyment comes from competing
and if you get a few top 3 places well that just adds to your enjoyment. Oh by the way I tink there is some fella in the UsA shooting an old tricked up Annie
and I hear he takes a bit of beating.:eek: John F.

It appears that you have a good starter rifle. You can learn a lot with that rifle. I started with a CZ 452 Varmint. I worked with a temporatary rest and installed a Weaver T 36 scope and learned my holding technique. I made some wind flags and learned some about how the wind works on the bullet flight. I tested ammo and found some that worked better than others. At some point I got serious about equipment and started upgrading. I am still in the process of upgrading as most of us are.

My point is that you have a better starter rifle than I had. There are tricked out Anschutzs at my club that win matches. You may use that rifle for years with a true benchrest stock and maybe a custom barrel with a tuner and a one piece rest.

Good luck and good shooting,
Concho Bill

Back