Eley 07100?

MightyMouse

Has anyone tried the Eley Standard Premium 500rd bulk pack ammo 07100? I have not shot much Eley yet, mostly Lapua Center X and Midas +, it would be nice to use something that's 8 cents a round for practice. On that note, is it practical to practice with good ammo that is not quite as good as the ammo you use in a match?

Thanks,
Tony

This ammo,That ammo

Hey Tony, I can understand your frustration with regard to shooting costlier ammo for practice.
The thing you must keep in mind is: why are you practicing?
If you shoot the less costly ammo at practice and shoot poorly you wont know if it was you or the ammo.
When I practice I shoot Lapua Center X, which is somewhat economical but at a match I shoot Lapua Midas Plus.
I have found, after considerable testing, that my gun likes the stuff a lot.
I also found that the two types of Lapua shoot within a few points of each other.
Not long ago I was informed by a fellow on this forum who’s name sounds like tim,
that if your going to shoot for precision don’t skimp on ammo, and he was right.

Bob

I know it's not necessary for me to make this post but Bob is exactly right....on all accounts. I suppose the adage "practice what you preach" could be changed to "practice with what you preach with". Sure, it's expensive, but unless you're shooting the best you have...you ain't practicing but rather just shooting. I think you could practice with lesser ammo if you just shot without a target...or adjusted your scope such that you didn't hit the target paper. There's more to "practice" than where the bullet goes.

All that said, if you attend a lot of matches you really don't need to "practice".

All that said, if you attend a lot of matches you really don't need to "practice".

Amen to this comment. I go to the range and shoot my comp rifles, but it's not for practice. Testing and tuning equipment reasons only. A better use of ammo expenditure is shooting lots of sighters during a card for score. JMO, better results for your ammo $$'s when it really counts.

Back