Early Shilen rifle?

G

GLG

I received a rifle from a customer and need help in identifying. On the receiver action it is marked SHILEN 101LM. It is chambered in .300 Win Mag. It is a left hand action. I think it could date to approx. 1963 but I am not familiar with these rifles. If anyone can help identify it would be appreciated. Thank you, Jim

Attachments

• DSCN5617.JPG
    DSCN5617.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 427
  • DSCN5621.JPG
    DSCN5621.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 456
Contact Shilen they may still have the records.

I gave them a call, they said that this rifle is before the formation of the current company so the records are no longer available. They said it could have been a prototype rifle. Thanks for the reply

Is the bolt large bolt body design similar to a Hall or a Bat 3L with the lugs the same diameter as most of the bolt body? The DGA's that were made on the cast receivers were two lug actions with the bolt body being smaller in diameter than the bolt lugs. I don't remember what the diameter of the bolt body was on them, but something like .718", a little larger in diameter than a Remington or Panda. Also, how many lugs does it have on the bolt? I haven't seen any of the NY made Shilen's, but I'm pretty sure that they were the large diameter bolts and may have had multi lugs on the front of the bolt.

If I get a chance, I'll post some picts of my early (pre-DGA) Shilen 22-250.

Here's an interview of Ed Shilen from PS where he discusses the early days:

Regards,
Ron

Attachments

• PS Feb08 Shilen article 1.jpg
    PS Feb08 Shilen article 1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 303
  • PS Feb08 Shilen article 2.jpg
    PS Feb08 Shilen article 2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 342
My pre-DGA rifle is a 22-250, all original with a laminated stock, a Canjar 2oz trigger (different than the later LP trigger), and came with a Unertl 24x 2" scope. It's either one of the last ones Shilen made in NY, or one that Dewey made after Shilen moved to Texas. Either way, it's tightly fitted and all 4 lugs bear evenly. I couldn't get it to shoot with the Unertl, so I mounted a B&L 36X scope shown in the pictures. The action is bedded into the wood - no epoxy bedding.

The fluted stainless barrel is marked John Dewey, and whether its one that Dewey rifled or a Hart, it shoots well. First time out with the B&L scope, 38.0 gr H380 and Berger 52 gr bullets, I shot a group on a 100 score target that fit inside the 10 ring without touching the ring.

The bolt lugs run vertically in the receiver, not horizontally as in a Rem, Stolle, etc. The Sherman, early Shilen, and Myers actions all share this unusual feature.

Sherman, Shilen, and Myers all shot in the northeast & knew each other, so it's not strange they used the same ideas. Jimmy Myers told me the purpose of the vertical lugs was that with the large body bolt, the lug cut in the front of the action acts as a loading ramp. It simplifies machining & does a good job of guiding the cartridge into the chamber.

The "hand off" on closing the bolt is OK, but not a smooth as a modern custom action. I tried swapping a modern Shilen 2oz trigger for the Canjar, but sear in the trigger was too tall & needed some work to fit. In the end I just put the Canjar back in.

Regards,
Ron

Attachments

• pre-DGA Shilen.jpg
    pre-DGA Shilen.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 446
  • shilen bolt measurements.jpg
    shilen bolt measurements.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 319
I forgot to mention the M-16 extractor. Two more picts:

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 293
Probably made up in Dryden, N Y with Ross Sherman doing much of the work.

This is very possible. However, not a lot of "shilen" actions were made there. Ed was learning from Ross, not the other way around. Most that Ross did were either his own (Superior) and called that because it is what he thought of his compared to "others", or they were worked over factory guns. I have seen several Mausers Ross did and the work was classic.

Snert

PS

Just re-read your post and realize we are saying the same thing. If it is an action made in that era, it was likely made in Ross' shop with Ross doing a lot of the work. He was very picky.

Last edited:
I have a set of the last run of his 7 flute crowning tools with 6 pilots. You can shave with the thing. The guy was amazing.

I have a set of the last run of his 7 flute crowning tools with 6 pilots. You can shave with the thing. The guy was amazing.

I have a plastic bottle full of his .224 bullets, and one of his rifles. I want another so if you know of one or have one....

At one time I thought #31 may make it to me, but it appears not to be the case. (BTW, that was Ross' personal Superior)

Back